Find
Notify
Tools

Engine Builders ?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Engine Builders ?

I’m looking for a shop to build a new sbc short block with cam now and move the heads, intake and covers from my existing engine to the new one in mid October.

I’m located in the Milwaukee WI area and would like someone within 200 miles. I’ve had two builders suggested but both are not taking any new engine builds to be delivered next spring.

I’m going to call Nyes in Muncie this week but that’s a 300 mile trip and further than I’d like to travel.

If anyone can suggest builders they use and trust closer to my location please PM me.

TIA

Posts: 2547 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Those big trucks with 18 wheels can take your engine where it needs to go.

Posts: 32 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: September 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joeblow:

This is true, but when you have an engine problem after the build (that could never happen right, lol) a 2- 3 hr drive with the engine still in the car or even out is a much easier to deal with to include meeting face to face then loading it in a crate and sending it back.

Posts: 2547 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by joeblow:

This is true, but when you have an engine problem after the build (that could never happen right, lol) a 2- 3 hr drive with the engine still in the car or even out is a much easier to deal with to include meeting face to face then loading it in a crate and sending it back.

Totally correct and best way in my opinion. I can drop off a broken motor Monday morning and most times have it back Friday if possible with my builder. He does whatever he can to get me going but doesn’t treat me any different than the rest of his customers.

Posts: 2595 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of scarab1999
posted Hide Post
5 or 6 good engine builders in that area.
AMS; DMR in Fond du Lac ; Pro Machine in Woodville.; Automotive specialties in Neenah; CNS motorsports in butler;

Posts: 97 | Location: troit | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scarab1999:
5 or 6 good engine builders in that area.
AMS; DMR in Fond du Lac ; Pro Machine in Woodville.; Automotive specialties in Neenah; CNS motorsports in butler;

There is one on this list that I am familiar with that I never thought about. Thanks for the post !

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Mark why not build it yourself. Then you know what you have. Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Professional Engine Builders work by the hour, or go bankrupt. Do it yourself, you are far more likely to take your time and be more careful with the added benefit of understanding how it all works. When you encounter a problem your understanding of how it works will help you diagnose the problem. Most Engine Builders are not available on Saturday and Sunday so your weekend of racing is more than likely over.

The only additional equipment that I had to buy were micrometers, an ARP rod bolt stretch tool, a TA360, accurate torque wrenches and a dial bore gauge. Less expensive than paying someone to assemble the engine, and I get to keep and use the tools in the future.

I’m an old school guy, I enjoy the process plus I work cheap.

Bob

Posts: 3125 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
DUE YOUSELF A FAVOR,DRIVE THE EXTRA MILES NYES HANDS DOWN.

Posts: 70 | Location: CINCINNATI OHIO | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I can throw in a suggestion class one racing engines in freeport illinois 815-235-1350 terry is very sharp he does work for folk race cars and is very reasonable check out classoneinc .com hes also on facebook

Posts: 14 | Location: illinois | Registered: July 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Professional Engine Builders work by the hour, or go bankrupt. Do it yourself, you are far more likely to take your time and be more careful with the added benefit of understanding how it all works. When you encounter a problem your understanding of how it works will help you diagnose the problem. Most Engine Builders are not available on Saturday and Sunday so your weekend of racing is more than likely over.

The only additional equipment that I had to buy were micrometers, an ARP rod bolt stretch tool, a TA360, accurate torque wrenches and a dial bore gauge. Less expensive than paying someone to assemble the engine, and I get to keep and use the tools in the future.

Bob

This, And what you are trying to do isnt that difficult. SBC=EASY

Stephen Liss jr

Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephensx04:
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:

Bob

This, And what you are trying to do isnt that difficult. SBC=EASY

Bob + Stephen.

I appreciate the suggestions but I’d prefer to leave this to a professional shop that does this for a living. That’s what there in the business for. The part I’ve have the problem with is finding the right shop.

I am going to be starting a new thread that is about my engine rebuild or replacement for some suggestions. I’d like to find out what others think it would take (B+S) to achieve the higher hp of a custom ported head / intake engine with that of an off the shelf head and intake package.