DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Trailer theft reminder
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer theft reminder
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Time for my annual trailer theft (and fire) reminder.

Just saw where a young lady’s new to her dragster and trailer were stolen. It was in a locked yard but the crooks broke in the yard, hooked up and drove away.

Guys and gals, do something! Anything! Chains, wheel boots, alarm systems, GPS trackers, buy a ton of insurance but for crying out loud be proactive not reactive. It can’t happen to you until it does.

Okay, I’m off my soapbox now.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Now days What do racers do that need to leave their rig in a hotel parking lot when traveling long distances? Back in the 80s and 90s we never gave it a 2nd thought when staying in hotels. Today I would be scared to death

Posts: 2432 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I know of a TAD rig that was found only because they had painted a huge letter or number on the roof. Was seen by aircraft.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Now days What do racers do that need to leave their rig in a hotel parking lot when traveling long distances? Back in the 80s and 90s we never gave it a 2nd thought when staying in hotels. Today I would be scared to death

in most cases I leave early enough so I'm able to drop the trailer at the track before I go to the hotel but when can't, I do the following...

1. when possible back trailer into a spot against the curb, woods, etc. behind the hotel away from sight

2. unhook trailer from tow vehicle and jack the tongue all the way up

3. remove hitch from tow vehicle and back tow vehicle up to/close to hitch

4. kill power to tongue jack

5. get room facing trailer

6. keep gun in bed loaded

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:

in most cases I leave early enough so I'm able to drop the trailer at the track before I go to the hotel but when can't, I do the following...

1. when possible back trailer into a spot against the curb, woods, etc. behind the hotel away from sight

Those sound like excellent ideas to me. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:

Killing power to tongue jack is the best idea! I know this because my battery died in the trailer and it was a huge PITA to get the jack down to truck level! easily 3' worth of jack!

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
I have a 80 amp breaker on for my tongue jack. I run it up as high as possible then flip the breaker off.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have a battery cutoff switch inside the trailer that can be locked. I'll raise the trailer hooked to the truck to put the hitch into a bind so it can't be released. If I disconnect, I use my tongue lock (megahitchlock). Like Ed, I try to get a room where I can see it and I park it somewhere that is difficult to get to it.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Geo fence systems. Like in class 8 HD Can detect movement right away. Works with 11-15 satellites.
With actual live steam. You have a good chance of recovery. Like semi trailer thefts if in the event

Not expensive at all. Best 255.00 you will ever spend. Alerts are instant. Once Geo fence alerts movement.

https://gpsandtrack.com/trailer-track-gps/

We had a case down here. They stole a loaded 53 from a major retailer. Nailed 7-9 of them in the actual unloading of the trailer into a big barn about 45 miles
away.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Geo fence systems. Like in class 8 HD Can detect movement right away. Works with 11-15 satellites.
With actual live steam. You have a good chance of recovery. Like semi trailer thefts if in the event

Not expensive at all. Best 255.00 you will ever spend. Alerts are instant. Once Geo fence alerts movement.

We had a case down here. They stole a loaded 53 from a major retailer. Nailed 7-9 of them in the actual unloading of the trailer into a big barn about 45 miles
away.

TD, Like the idea of this and price is decent. But what is the service charge after the 3 year free service?
This would be a good idea, plus the preventive measures taken to prevent theft to start with.

Dave

DC: my measures are the trailer is stored inside my shop when not in use, and I sleep in it when on the road/track.. They would find me staring at them with a .45 looking them in the eye when they opened the door..lol

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
if you don,t have insurance you are a idiot plain and simple . on my gooseneck trailer i take the sliding hitch out of the neck and take it with me .

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
quote:

away.

TD, Like the idea of this and price is decent. But what is the service charge after the 3 year free service?
This would be a good idea, plus the preventive measures taken to prevent theft to start with.

Dave

DC: my measures are the trailer is stored inside my shop when not in use, and I sleep in it when on the road/track.. They would find me staring at them with a .45 looking them in the eye when they opened the door..lol

I just called Mike there. After the first 3 years that comes with the unit. It is only $20 a year there after. Good guy. Almost every day pending on software setup. You will get a live status alert. You can install the software on the phone and the PC.. He produces several videos of actual trailer recoverys

Michael H. Fischer

mailto:MIKE@GPSandTRACK.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
TD,

That's a heck of a deal.. Less than my Motor Trend subscription..lol

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Please keep you eyes peeled. Recent...

Elizabeth Volini
3tuSpgoonseohred ·
Hey Everyone - I am a brand new racer, so excited just got my first dragster over the winter.
My dragster and trailer and all my gear was stolen last night from Wolfe Engines in Steger, IL.
Somebody broke in hitched it up and stole it. I'm devastated - please everyone out there if you know anything or see anything that resembles it please let me know.
Purple dragster, with a 565 big block chevy, red trailer. Pics attached. This is unbelieveable.
US41 Dragstrip Please share and help us find it.
Marty Wolfe

UPDATE: The police know who the thieves are but do not know where the trailer and dragster is.
Help find the dirtbag that did this!!
Please share and contact us if you have any info!

Please scroll down..

https://www.facebook.com/US41-...A&[B]tn[%2FB]=kK-y-R

AND

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

away.

Great system, used it when I was working in the city. Stopped all the BS! ALSO REPORTS SPEED ....... Big Grin

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4505 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you have a APPLE device get their AIRTAGS…

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
In California trailer thefts (of any type) have become an epidemic. House trailers, utility trailers, car trailers, you name it any type of trailer. Within four blocks of our home there have been three trailers stolen. Fortunately one group (two low life's) were caught in the act, unfortunately neither of them was shot but they will be hospitalized for a while with several broken bones, cuts and bruises. Naturally (This is California) they, and their bottom feeding ambulance chasing Lawyer, are now suing the owner of the trailer they tried to steal. The "Theory" being if we can't get your trailer we can still get your home AND trailer.

Before anyone is offended by the Lawyer reference please note that I am not disparaging Lawyers as a whole, just one singular low life.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
When I was still traveling to races with my 48' goose, I would never leave it in a motel parking lot, if I needed a rest I would just find a rest area or truck stop and crash in the trailer (bathroom package trailer) to say I was armed would be an understatement......

When not in use it was parked beside my business behind a locked gate that was tied into my shop alarm (if my shop alarm goes off I am notified by phone, if I don't get the call for whatever reason, the police are dispatched) and I installed a battery cutoff switch with a removable key so the landing gear would not operate.

And of course I had full coverage insurance for the trailer and contents.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Remember Guy Price? He was an advocate of the big numbers on the room of the trailer!

Posts: 1413 | Location: Yarnell, AZ | Registered: August 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
If the scum want it they will get it.
The electric jack power off is what I use, HOWEVER, a nail in the pavement in front of the foot, and start the truck, the jack stem will fold over like a cheap suitcase.
Just things to slow them down:
3 axle trailer: 3 pieces of proper length rebar through the wheels from side to side, painted white on the ends to blend with white wheels or silver for mags, they will have to fight and waste some time to screw with the 3 pcs, Or 2 pcs. Or you can go 1 step further and use cold rolled rod and thread the ends and put a nyloc on with a ratchet or batt gun. makes noise and slows them down a ton. Cable and lock secures the same side pair together, but very little noise trying to cut the strands.
best thing is a pull brake device such as what is on the tongue, attached to the rear and wired to thebraked so it activates the electric brakes, and tie it to a parking bumper or light pole or anything that will pull it out of its socket. The brakes will drag severely and probably make the scum abandon the theft.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post