New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passion
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Short Blog this week to speak about something I believe is dear to many of our hearts.

The dictionary defines the word passion as, “a strong or barely controllable emotion.” Does that sound familiar when it comes to a drag racer?

I’ve shared with you before about how concerned I was when I was originally set to be drafted into the military. My concern at that time; and of course at 18-years old; was “how am I going to go drag racing?” I probably shouldn’t have thought that way, instead feeling honored to serve my country. Not to digress but, the military was quite a bit different than it is today. It was shortly after I had gone for my physical that the draft had ended. Now I could go drag racing.

But I believe that most; if not all; drag racers possess much of the same passion for the sport. What’s that sign we’d often see on the back doors of race trailers? Oh yeah. “Inside this trailer contains a disease of which there is no cure.” Truer words may never have been spoken; or in this case; written down.

We often kid each other about drag racing being a drug; one that while legal, still is a habit that’s hard to kick. There is no Drag Racers Anonymous similar to an AA or Gamblers program. Although many of us could probably fit into a Gamblers program. After all, isn’t that sort of what we’re doing when we lay down some money at the gate, accepting the odds that we’ll win? Whatever you want to call it, once drag racing gets into your blood, it’s a habit that’s hard to kick. While there are instances where alcoholism or gambling has strained relationships, I don’t believe drag racing may have done the same. Tell me if I’m wrong on that one.

I know. Many of us are aware of someone who was into the sport heavily and finally decided to hang it up. To walk away for whatever reason; money, family, etc. But does that passion really leave you? It may be the thrill of a fast pass, or the friendships made along the way. Whatever, the hook is still set. How many times have we’ve seen someone who seemingly gave up the sport, only to have them periodically show up at a race to spectate? It could be for the friendships or maybe it’s just the smell of burnt rubber and race fuel, nonetheless, it’s still in the blood.

I spoke a couple of weeks ago about the race track being my “happy place,” (https://dragracingactiononline.com/2021/09/a-happy-place-an-update/), and to a point that’s still true for many of us. However, as we get older, our priorities may change slightly. In most cases, that doesn’t mean our love of the sport has waned, but just that we realize there may be other things in life. Through it all though, I doubt very much we totally forget about the aforementioned smell of burnt rubber and race fuel. I know I haven’t. How about you?

Posts: 154 | Location: Beaver Springs, PA | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Does going to Galot this weekend by myself to race at age 80 mean I have this disease? I made my first pass at 16 and it has yet to kill me.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Does going to Galot this weekend by myself to race at age 80 mean I have this disease? I made my first pass at 16 and it has yet to kill me.

That's badazz is what that is.

If anyone should be getting help with tires, it's YOU.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
I agree, Fern should be the poster"boy" for Johns post !!

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
X2. I hope to be above ground at 80, no mind racing, no mind by myself.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I spent the afternoon getting the car out of the enclosed, getting the Featherlite open out of the garage, loading car on open and putting it all back in the garage. Supposed to rain tomorrow and 1/2 of Friday so will hook up motor home Friday after rain stops and roll out. The easy part as I can back up to garage and roll trailer forward and hook up. I am pretty lucky to be able to do this and Jared, Steve Stites, and Ducky and Anthony Waltons races keep me interested. I am pretty blessed I think

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
With the talk of what happened at the Million, the thread about sportsmanship, the thread about running for "only" $5k, big money bracket racing's effect on the state of the sport, etc... for me, it all boils down to the passion. I love being at the track, seeing my friends that have become family, racing and competing. Win or lose, it's still fun, and as long as it is, and I can afford to run my heap on my budget, I'll keep swinging away. And I want to be like Fern. I have the Olds part down already. Big Grin

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Had a blast at Galot. Car was very good and I won a round. And I saw a ton of friends, that’s the good part.

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Its called CBS. Chronic Bracket Syndrome. Big Grin

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I think passion is what creates excellence in whatever we do. It's not limited to racing, although one may only have passion for one thing in life.

One of the things that has always impressed me about my wife is her passion for the things she does. She doesn't shrug her shoulders and let the world pass by. She is passionate about her work, and her family. Sure, it makes things interesting when you piss her off. But at least she give a crap. So many people today are just milk toast. I can't stand it.

Yesterday at work, we were presented with an opportunity for extra capital money for the plant. It ended up continuing into a planning session in my office with the six folks most passionate about getting things our plant needs. Don't let the challenges of projects in todays world get in the way and figure out how to make it work. It's one of the key indicators I use when hiring for my team as well.

Passion is what makes the world go around IMO.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Passion is what makes the world go around IMO

I agree, however the passion of the modern generations seems to be; couch + video game, mixed in with a little social disruption. I’m on the downside now, but it would be interesting to view the world in another 30 – 50 years from now just to see where that passion get's invested.

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post