DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    The Year of "Massive Money" Bracket Racing
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Year of "Massive Money" Bracket Racing
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Well they have proved for going into 10 years they pack the house...Have yet to see Bristol, Galot or Vegas pack the house for a big money bracket race at the level of attendance Peter and Kyle bring to these venues.

Most importantly, these track would not book these races with Peter and Kyle if they could do it better themselves...for many years to boot.

I have also raced with SFG...these guys are doing a great job as well and the tracks keep booking with them as well.

Just an observation.

These Big money races are growing bracket racing to levels of money that has never been seen before with frequency...Big $ is not hurting bracket racing...again just another observation.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you,that was my point - Fern asked why the tracks can't seem to put on successful races but the promoters can - the tracks don't do as good a job of packing the place as the promoters do. Also, I don't think big money bracket races are hurting local bracket racing, I just think that the current success of the big money scene isn't representative of the overall health of bracket racing at other levels in general, know what I mean?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BD104X,

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 634 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Know what ya mean, if we could only lure more of the younger crowd our sport we love could grow. The cost is a big factor and keeps many at home

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
As I read my own post I realize from the sfg post that $300.00 to race for $100,000.00 shows where big$ racing is today!

GREAT time to be a bracket racer!

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
^^^ My point its only good math. Yes its 4 times cost of local one night race,but at 100 times payout. Plus you get 3 chances to race for it with one travel cost. Like already stated winning one oe just making the split can give you lot more chances to run for big money.

Plus Torquins kid is already paying for his years entry fees.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4203 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Wink Cool

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I wasn't picking on SFG. But as noted his races used to sell out in a few hours and currently that isn't happening. But it is great for those in that income category that can take the time required off of work as often as they want to attend these events.....if I were still flush with money I would probably be right there. You need to absorb my entire previous post.

Posts: 6216 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The ones that complain the most about big money bracket races hurting the sport are coming from the ones who either can't afford to run them or don't feel competitive enough to win them. I'm saying this from my personal experience because I have been known to run them down until I realized it was just envy towards then guys who can afford to run them. Anybody can see that the big money events are hurting the weekly local bracket races because people are picking and choosing where they race based on the big money events. They will be more apt to not race a small local Saturday night race one weekend due to them saving the equipment for the following week's big money event. It's just a change in times and everyone has a choice to either change with them or keep it parked.

Jason McLawhorn
Greenville, NC
1955 Chevy

Posts: 476 | Location: Greenville, North Carolina | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
That sounds like what they were saying back in the 60s---this formula of super added purse races does not help ALL tracks survive nor give incentive to ALL or NEW racers. But it is great for the tracks that host them and the racers with the time and the money to attend. Just what does it do for the rest of the tracks and racers?

Posts: 6216 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I will say that it seems like the bottom bulb guys have a different mentality...they do not flock to the big money races so much...not sure why...there have been some issues with events this year and an event I really want to happen is in jeapordy right now...it is a footbrake only race that pays $10G, 25G and 10G guaranteed...entry is only $399 with 99 bucks holding your spot...the promoter needs some folks to step up in the next two weeks or the event will not happen due to low car count...very disappointing...

Apparently the footbrake crowd are not big money racers...sigh....

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
Any update Fuzz? Maybe put no-box in and run separate?

Posts: 3079 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy dice:
I will say that it seems like the bottom bulb guys have a different mentality...they do not flock to the big money races so much...not sure why...there have been some issues with events this year and an event I really want to happen is in jeapordy right now...it is a footbrake only race that pays $10G, 25G and 10G guaranteed...entry is only $399 with 99 bucks holding your spot...the promoter needs some folks to step up in the next two weeks or the event will not happen due to low car count...very disappointing...

Apparently the footbrake crowd are not big money racers...sigh....

Guaranteed payout, but may not happen due to low car count....? Not much of a guarantee!

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Interesting read, this thread. I observed something last week on a cruise ship that gets me thinking about the big purse/entry races. Struck up a convo with a guy on an electronic poker machine - he was grinning ear to ear because during the course of that week he had hit that thing for $48000, then later on he admitted that at his rate of betting he figured to have dropped $32k on bets. Still a nice net but it's a high stakes world out there...... Cool JB

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I look at like this. Everything cost and the more reward the higher the cost to play.

I ike trout fishing. Probably spend 100 plus everytime I drive to mountains,get bait,have decent breakfast and burger later that day. On really good day I get 6 or 7 fish so thats 14 bucks per fish. In other words lousy return on my money,but I have fun.

Why not risk few bucks for chance to have fun,maybe make good amount of money that will in turn pay for more fun?

I am about as low buck as it gets,but if car makes some consistent runs and driver can be fairly consistent at light I plan to hit at least three big money deal that are local(under 150 miles). I figure if you run with the best you learn from the best.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4203 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
I like competition.

Now that I am older, bracket racing allows me to compete on an even field limited by my own ability. Sometimes I can be competitive, usually not so much. I like the availability of the big money races. Every trip is an adventure for us. The monetary cost is not an issue, otherwise we would stay home. When you consider the real net cost of anything else you do for recreation, is not really all that expensive.

Posts: 3079 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Byron hosted a race this year that paid, 30k,100k,50k and was put on by the owners of the track, it was 98% sold, I think a few backed out last second, they had pre-entry 400 cars and guaranteed payouts. The local racers and racers in the nearby areas supported very well and made this race great. Its doable if the track schedules it on the right weekend and does their homework.

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Rymo 40 years ago we used to travel from Baltimore to Byron to race in his added purse races---he was doing it before about anyone.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
What you wrote of Fern is the US Bracket Nationals at Byron Dragway that Ron Leek promoted. This year was the 43rd running during the Labor Day weekend, but unfortunately the entire event was rained out.

Posts: 2481 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4link1955:
The ones that complain the most about big money bracket races hurting the sport are coming from the ones who either can't afford to run them or don't feel competitive enough to win them.

Well, not exactly. I don't complain about "big money" races (I don't care what other people do) but I don't attend them either. It's not because I can't afford, and not because I don't feel competitive. It's because I DON'T RACE FOR MONEY. I just like tuning my car, driving it, and competing against other racers. I get all that for $50 at a track one hour from my house.

If you want to play for big money, race your local weekly series and spend the entry fees you save on lottery tickets. You're just as likely to come out ahead one was as your are the other Smile

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
quote:
Originally posted by 4link1955:
The ones that complain the most about big money bracket races hurting the sport are coming from the ones who either can't afford to run them or don't feel competitive enough to win them.

Well, not exactly. I don't complain about "big money" races (I don't care what other people do) but I don't attend them either. It's not because I can't afford, and not because I don't feel competitive. It's because I DON'T RACE FOR MONEY. I just like tuning my car, driving it, and competing against other racers. I get all that for $50 at a track one hour from my house.

If you want to play for big money, race your local weekly series and spend the entry fees you save on lottery tickets. You're just as likely to come out ahead one was as your are the other Smile

I agree with you 100% Mike! I do it for the fun and not the money. The minute it becomes a job or a requirement for me to win in order to pay my bills, I'll park it!! Smile

Jason McLawhorn
Greenville, NC
1955 Chevy

Posts: 476 | Location: Greenville, North Carolina | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
What you wrote of Fern is the US Bracket Nationals at Byron Dragway that Ron Leek promoted. This year was the 43rd running during the Labor Day weekend, but unfortunately the entire event was rained out.

36th ish semi-annual Mark. Just sayin...

You can talk massive money all ya want but its damn near 2019 and still no trophy girls.

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post