DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Race Track Forums    Quaker City Motorsports Park
Page 1 ... 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 ... 245
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quaker City Motorsports Park
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Underdog99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Underdog--- in all honesty, a track's points program does not support the track. It is the special events and T&T events that the tracks hold that draw larger crowds and require less expense that the track is looking to profit from to continue to support a weekly points program along with partnerships from advertisement and sponsors.

I think I did state that evidently there is more money in the non race events so I'm not disputing that. I'm guessing there are thousands of pursuits more lucrative than owning a race track. You don't see The Donald buyng one. LOL!

Posts: 72 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: October 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
only if donald needs more tax write offs....

Posts: 25 | Location: TRP | Registered: May 25, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CulpK348
posted Hide Post
There have only been a few specialty events (<3)planned for this track that did not include the regular race program. The mopar event, the nostalgia funny car event [May 29th), Summer National Stop Light Drags. Only the funny car event has taken place. Not to mention that the big dollar event [Christmas in July) never took place because of a "lack of interest" which should have been more likely touted as a "lack of information and advertising". Outside of the "DADS" events, what advertising has been done to draw interest...then lets revisit why sponsors might not want to support these events.

You do more damage advertising events at the beginning of the season that you cancel year after year than you do not having any special events....that being said...SP is correct...the big draws are not the weekly racing program but the specialty events....This track or any track for that matter is not the field of dreams. Open it and sponsors will NOT come....unless you spend a little time attracting them, meeting the agreed upon terms promised to them and making them want to be part of the program this year and next.

You cant just sit back, open the gates and expect the money to roll in. I like traveling to specialty events, and I like my weekly program. However, I get tired of planning my summer racing schedule, vacation schedule and such around special races that I would like to attend only to have them cancelled over and over. This is not new this year. It is not my business either, but my money and where I choose to spend it is....

Life is Short....Live it without Regrets

Sponsored by:

Calcutta Auto Parts
Team MOJO Foundation
El Paso Mexican Restaurant

Posts: 527 | Location: East Liverpool, Ohio | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted Hide Post
Part of the problem may also be that The Mopar Nationals, probably the biggest Mopar event in the country is this weekend (8/12-8/14) at National Trail. Having another Mopar event right on the heels of that one might be a hard sell to many advertisers.

Posts: 152 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Tony Fagnilli
posted Hide Post
At Keystone, I've seen more and more of the "specialty" races, and Greg has definitely gotten better at promoting them. And that being said, the bracket program has suffered. But, unless you race at Norwalk or you're really stupid, we as bracket racers must realize that bracket racing is a loser for the track operators. They make hardly enough money to cover opening the gates. And that my friends is why we are at the bottom of the totem pole. I'm just glad we still have somewhere to race.

Posts: 953 | Location: pittsburgh | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Fagnilli:
At Keystone, I've seen more and more of the "specialty" races, and Greg has definitely gotten better at promoting them. And that being said, the bracket program has suffered. But, unless you race at Norwalk or you're really stupid, we as bracket racers must realize that bracket racing is a loser for the track operators. They make hardly enough money to cover opening the gates. And that my friends is why we are at the bottom of the totem pole. I'm just glad we still have somewhere to race.

The month of August at Norwalk is all special events with 1 points day falling on the Night Under Fire (thanks Clint). They hold 11 points weekends with only 1 in June, 2 in July and 1 in August. The track is opened the end of April to the end of October with barely half the schedule as points races. In return, Bader does reward his points racers very nicely with year end awards and run-offs. It's a pretty decent give and take situation as it does allow for more off weekends to travel, spend time with family or work. I think I would rather have that system over being married to a points system that requires me to be there each and every weekend.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Tony Fagnilli
posted Hide Post
Oh definitely. I agree 100%. I remember back in the day Keystone had points EVERY Friday night and Sunday, from April till October. It was freakin brutal

Posts: 953 | Location: pittsburgh | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Underdog99
posted Hide Post
Funny, I have fond memories of those days in the late 70s. Of course it wasn't points but running the combo race on Sunday that was over in time to stop for dinner on the way home. And then there was PID and Eldora.

One thing that hasn't changed one bit....everyone still *****es about everything.

Posts: 72 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: October 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Fagnilli:

Actually, you're in a pretty small group that realize that.......it's sad......but it is true.

With the popularity of Reality TV racing and it's "stars".......I'm afraid it's only going to get worse for the true bracket racer.

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Tony Fagnilli
posted Hide Post
XPS, yes, without a doubt. It's not going to get better, only worse. There's just not enough bracket racers coming up. Oh well.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of CulpK348
posted Hide Post
Tony,

I agree and that is why it hurts me to see these crowd and racer drawing events get cancelled over and over. I want the track to make money. But they won't if they continue to drop specialty races and replace them with points events. No business that is losing money stays open long.

Life is Short....Live it without Regrets

Sponsored by:

Calcutta Auto Parts
Team MOJO Foundation
El Paso Mexican Restaurant

Posts: 527 | Location: East Liverpool, Ohio | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Underdog99
posted Hide Post
Sure were plenty of bracket racers there last weekend. They didn't all look as old as me either....especially the cute little girl that beat me Friday night. lol

As I see it, drag racing is bracket racing. I can't see it surviving on the few that can afford to run heads up/Pro classes. JRs ,Stock, Super Stock, Index classes...it's all bracket racing. If you watch the NHRA All Access, they have been promoting it more and more.

My solution, for when I want to go, is look at the schedules, look at the weather, decide what sounds like fun to me and go. The Friday Gamblers and Reg Saturday appeals to me because I get two days of racing with one tow.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
This is going to be an extremely unpopular opinion here, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but the popularity of dragsters in Super Pro/Quick 32 brought on the demise of the spectator grandstands. I realize it's a better mousetrap ........but people just lost interest watching them.

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
yep xps....most "hot rodders" and spectators I've talked to would rather watch an 11 second stocker "banging gears" than another boring pipe rack for sure! Them damn NHRA"stupid comp" and "stupid gas" pipe racks are the worst...they launch,slow down, then speed up again..o boy thats fun to watch...like watching paint dry!!!

Posts: 25 | Location: TRP | Registered: May 25, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It's hard for the fan in the stands to associate to a dragster. They're the way to go for consistency for sure, but the fan wants to relate to a Chevy, Ford, Mopar etc.

Posts: 474 | Location: Trinity, Florida | Registered: June 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The fans don't give a crap what's on the track unless it shoots flames, makes a ton of noise, makes a ton of smoke or is just an old nostalgia type car. Hell, any of the Super/Rod categories are all throttle stopped. The car without a stop on it is like a bigfoot sighting. Face it, unless your a nitro burning, jet Kenworth driving, blower out the hood of your funny car having, huge turbo hanging the front wheel 1/8 mile kind of guy.....you're just holding up the show the spectator wants to see.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Underdog99
posted Hide Post
I'll have you know I attracted 3 spectators Saturday besides the GF. Nephew and two of his buddies came to see my junk run. Just trying to do my part. LOL

Seriously, I get lots of friends say they would like to see what I do. I try to encourage them to come to the track. Getting them there is a challenge but I think it's something anyone racing should try to do.

I also have a few friends that used to race back in the day. I think they are afraid to come to the track for fear they get the bug again.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
From Facebook...

Posts: 343 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Glad someone posted that screenshot Steve, that was exactly what I was referring to earlier. Sounds like a cop out due to not realizing the days were clicking by.

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
As a kind of related aside. We used to have the Super Chevy weekend, a Mopar weekend and a Ford weekend, that was eventually rolled into one three day weekend. Chevy on Saturday, Mopar on Sunday and Ford on the holiday Monday.

that changed to Chevy Saturday, Mopar Sunday and "Ford against the world" to combine all three on Monday.

Now all those have disappeared. No spectators, limited fans and not enough sponsor support to make then viable.

I am not going to pretend to know why, but it sure does seem to be the trend recently. Frown

Posts: 149 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post