Find
Notify
Tools

Sealing Copper Head Gaskets
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted
What’s everybody using to seal copper head gaskets with water jackets. Have been using smear of threebond on head and block around all water passages with spray of copper coat on both sides of gasket. Had good luck but the threebond is a pain to clean up and some say it will not allow the gaskets to totally seat causing leaks in the combustion chamber. O-ring case block with recover groove in aluminum heads. Hearing just the copper coat or the blue hylamar spray and skip the threebond.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 314 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You’ll probably have 9 out of 10 say a light to medium coat of spray copper coat. And if your head are angle cut make sure you check for the uncut places on the ends up by the intake. A small bead of silicone will seal those up so no oil gets out of the valley area.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4521 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
2-3 coats of Copper coat is all I used. I would get a few drips the first couple of heat cycles until engine was hot but would go away after I re torqued the heads.
Tried a little silicon around the water passages once but was a PITA when having to pull the heads for whatever reason

Posts: 2516 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I do the same as Steve. 3 coats of copper coat, letting it dry completely between coats. Have to use a pry bar to get heads loose from block if I pull it apart.....no leaks ever....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1516 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post