Find
Notify
Tools

Swing Arm Dragster - Drive Shaft?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted
We have been running a steel drive shaft in our Don Davis Swing Arm dragster since going to a ProCharger this year,

We ran hard at Sonoma and qualified #2 at 6.13 @223MPH, but 4.5 second into the E1 pass, the front u-joint disintegrated and we are now looking for the best replacement option.

What are you suspension dragster guys running for drive shafts, especially what kind of U-Joints.

What about the CV drive shafts. Expensive, but we need to get this fixed right the first time.

What do you think?

DG

Posts: 442 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Yeager
posted Hide Post
Hi David,
I just realized you were pit behind me last weekend...I wish I would have stopped by and met you in person.

We use the Goethe Enterprises CV Shaft. I like it. It's what Danny Nelson puts in most of his T/D cars, and have not heard of any failures.

Mark Yeager

Posts: 1384 | Location: Hollister,CA | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update.

He doesn't seem to have a website. Just a Facebook page.

We will be ready for the Famoso races!

DG

Posts: 442 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mark Willams makes them as well

Posts: 413 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:

And they actually answer the phone Monday-Friday. I believe the lead time is 3 weeks.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:

And they actually answer the phone Monday-Friday. I believe the lead time is 3 weeks.

I'm guessing $1500-$2000 ?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4520 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
After a lot of deliberation and conversations with both MV and Gothe, we have decided to stay with the traditional drive shaft, but go to the STRANGE 1480 U-Joint driveshaft and limit the range of the shock.

I had been focusing on the starting line numbers in RacePak and not the down track numbers for the shock sensor.
With the additional wing angle we added for the higher MPH ProCharger package, the angularity and much high torque for the old Spicer 1350 U-Joint shaft was just too much.

The 4150 U-Joint is rated for 2000 Foot/pounds of torque and has a much higher angle tolerance.
https://www.strangeengineering...s-h-d-u-joints.html/

The fact that the entire package is about half of the price is a nice bonus, but not the reason to change.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:

I'm guessing $1500-$2000 ?

Been 4 years since I bought one but yes somewhere in that range. Either way its a whole lot cheaper that having a U joint fail and tearing up the chassis and anything else it comes in contact with.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Gerard:
After a lot of deliberation and conversations with both MV and Gothe, we have decided to stay with the traditional drive shaft, but go to the STRANGE 1480 U-Joint driveshaft and limit the range of the shock.

I had been focusing on the starting line numbers in RacePak and not the down track numbers for the shock sensor.
With the additional wing angle we added for the higher MPH ProCharger package, the angularity and much high torque for the old Spicer 1350 U-Joint shaft was just too much.

The 4150 U-Joint is rated for 2000 Foot/pounds of torque and has a much higher angle tolerance.
https://www.strangeengineering...s-h-d-u-joints.html/

The fact that the entire package is about half of the price is a nice bonus, but not the reason to change.

im curious if you have a shock sensor?

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1543 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
We have the RacePak shock sensor and the Penske shock has a " snubber" on the shaft to limit the travel to about 1.5" or so.

The DataLink software shows it on the limiter from about 80 feet out to the finish line at 223+ MPH.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
thats what I would have suspected.... mine was doing the same when it broke a ujoint, except I didnt have a snubber to limit the travel

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1543 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post