DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Sonnax supported servo pin
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sonnax supported servo pin
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted
Anyone having a problem with this servo set up ? I installed one along with the long green spring and ate a band in 2 runs ! It is not a high volume pump so I did not use any shims on the spring !I am going back to the old set up ! Any thoughts ! Thanks Bill !

Posts: 64 | Location: shelton ct | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Do any pressure tests at the servo before and after? Just curious....

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Did you check pressure at the servo yet Bill?

Check 2000 plus rpms in low , shift to high should be same low and high within a few psi.

How much pressure?

Low on oil can do it also, or mis-adjusted shifter adjustment.

Any slop in the shift lever to rooster comb?

Sloppy lever to comb can have it half in and out of gear.

Transmission vented well?

Guided pin Servo work excellent, not sure I'd give up on it if I were you.

Post a photo of band if you can.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
Did not do any pressure test and I should have ! I checked the band adjustment and it was 5 tuns so I took it apart ! I am thinking might not have a strong enough pressure regulator spring or could oil pressure get behind the pin where it go's through servo cover and stop the band from releasing fast !

Posts: 64 | Location: shelton ct | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Get her all fixed up and put it back in, check pressure at servo.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Here is an excellent video from Sonnax if you have not see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx01xQ8PuuA

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
Mike do you use that long green spring in yours ?

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill masiello:
Mike do you use that long green spring in yours ?

Yes sir, sounds like you bought the complete kit, if you got the shims as well with yours.

Use the shims if you find the pressure over 260 at the servo, when you check it.

You're car though I'd say 210 - 230 psi at the servo is plenty good.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bill, check the rooster for slop. Take the fastener out and slide the lever into the rooster.

You should have no slop, no nut and bolt (fastener).

There should be an interference fit (tight), sliding the lever through rooster.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
one other thing to check,be sure your band adjustment is done with tranny face up to see drum.turn output back and forth while counting turns out.being sure drum is completely free.i have found more than one that the band took more than the standard 4 turn rule of thumb. i contribute this to a stack up of tollerance in aftermarket parts.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
one other thing to check,be sure your band adjustment is done with tranny face up to see drum.turn output back and forth while counting turns out.being sure drum is completely free.i have found more than one that the band took more than the standard 4 turn rule of thumb. i contribute this to a stack up of tollerance in aftermarket parts.

Try this,

Lay the transmission on its pan, in park. Turn the band screw in to 72 inch pds. Now loosen the band screw until you barely feel the input turn using channel locks / vise grip with a rag over the shaft so not to mar splines. Loosen band screw two turns from there. You're done tighten nut.

DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
I do adjust my band with the trans on the pan ! The rooster comb is tight and the linkage is dead on ! Mike how many runs have you put on this set up and have you looked at your band adjustment ? I have been doing my own trans for a long time and never had a problem like this !

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
when we had used gm bands 3 3/4 turns was good.now mostly all that is used is new bands these will wear in an will need readjustment,it is not uncommon for a band set 3 3/4 to be at five after a short time.one readjust after wear in should be all thats needed

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill masiello:
I do adjust my band with the trans on the pan ! The rooster comb is tight and the linkage is dead on ! Mike how many runs have you put on this set up and have you looked at your band adjustment ? I have been doing my own trans for a long time and never had a problem like this !

This is my personal pg. I was in this quite a bit, I had a 1.80, 1.64 and 1.69 low in it over a few months. Everything gorgeous. I had two different valve bodies in that time period as well. So it got looked at frequently. I could tell by the shift, the trans was happy. It was cleaner, quicker with the guided pin servo.

Which aftermarket case are you running? Or is it a stock case?

DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
ATI case ! My old band had over 200 runs on it with the other servo ! Something has changed ! I am putting it back together with the old servo and spring !

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Yeah, get her back together and in the car, put a guage on the servo cover. Check pressure.

Lost pressure somehow. Let me know what it reads in low and high.

DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
I'VE HAD ISSUES WITH THE ATI CASE SERVO HOLE IS TOO SMALL....POLISHED THE SERVO SHAFT TO FIT....ALSO, AIR TEST THE SERVO & SEE IF THE TRAVEL LOOKS RIGHT..

Posts: 58 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DON KALINA:
I'VE HAD ISSUES WITH THE ATI CASE SERVO HOLE IS TOO SMALL....POLISHED THE SERVO SHAFT TO FIT....ALSO, AIR TEST THE SERVO & SEE IF THE TRAVEL LOOKS RIGHT..

The hole needs chamfered as well, for the seal that goes here.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The supported servo system is a must and has shown improvements in all applications it has been used in for years now. You mentioned the pin in the cover, it is vented and does not create a timing problem.

If it were installed and it locked up the pin, that would be an issue and show a servo bore alignment issue euth the case which would create a problem for sure.

After you installed it, did the pin spin free in the case bore?

Hutch

Posts: 24 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
I played around with it yesterday and put it together with no spring and moved in and out nice and free ! Then I put it together with the spring and air checked it and again it moved in and out nice ! I am thinking it could be a pump issue ! It is a low volume pump and looking at it very close it looks like it is a little worn !