Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Steel Brake Lines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steel Brake Lines
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted
I'd like to replace the steel brake lines on my rear axle assembly.

The current setup is 3/16" steel with #3AN flares, flare nuts, and ferrules. It's double flared. I think accepted practice is that with hard line a single flare is okay when used with a nut and ferrule. Not sure about steel.

Question: Do I still need to double flare the steel line even though I'll be using flare nuts and ferrules?

BTW I have the tool to flare steel line at 37*.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Need Carb Parts or Service? PM jmark right here.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2285 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Rule of thumb. Double flare with the correct unions. Never would i use flare nuts or ferrules on brake lines. You will sleep better at night.
Vibrations on single flare are not your friend.

Posts: 317 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
My mistake. I called the tube sleeves ferrules.

My current lines are using AN3 tube nuts and tube sleeves and they are double flared with I'm assuming a 37* flare.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2285 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mine is all single flare with the tube sleeve and nut I dont think you could double flare AN style ends if you have the correct tool mine does not have a second die to do a double flare

Posts: 309 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Coloradoracer
posted Hide Post
Stainless steel, single flare with flare nuts. Regular steel lines should be double flare. They do make a 37* flaring tool that does single and double flares just for this.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 251 | Location: Conifer, Colorado | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
Got the job done was able to do 37* double flare.

nomad
Bruce Guertin