DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Go Pro Camera Recommendation?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Go Pro Camera Recommendation?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
All - What Go Pro camera and mounts do you recommend for drag racing? Thanks in advance.

All Pontiac. No Juice.

Posts: 34 | Location: Maple Grove, Mn | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of them and can never get all three to work at same time. Lucky for one to record a pass. Here in Texas the heat is hard on them. There are better options now and I would look into them.
When I first got them they were good but have rapidly got worse. Battery life is not very good if it is hot or they get old.

If you already have one then s it but if you have not bought them then I would check other options.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3961 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
I would look into a ReplayPrime X. Smaller, more compact, and incredible video.
Seabass’s Video sold me on one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IrD1TTUfdRg

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mike Bjorum makes a great NHRA approved mount for the Go-Pro cameras. With that being said I would buy a clone camera for 50 or 60 bucks instead of 300 or more for a Go-Pro. Good luck with whatever you pick!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Be careful with the clone cameras. In addition to the the three GoPros I have one to of the clones. Forgot how much I paid for it but it was a total waste.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 3961 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bruce,

Are you dropping these off the Empire State Building or what? Sounds to me like you're hard on equipment. Big Grin

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Bruce,

Are you dropping these off the Empire State Building or what? Sounds to me like you're hard on equipment. Big Grin

It is not the camera itself it is the batteries. I think the Texas heat and being out in the sun kills them. The video itself is pretty good when you can get it to record. The remote if you use it is hard to get them to sinc up so I do not even use that feature any more.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You might try sticking the battery in it right before you head to the lanes.

I just reach up and hit the button before I pull out, no remote.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Aaron
If you like GoPro and want to mount it properly per NHRA, get a HERO3+ or HERO4. HERO4 is likely still available.

If you need more info, email me.

macmanmike@aol.com

or PM my Facebook Mike Bjorum

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of B-rad2416
posted Hide Post
Get the HERO +LCD. Battery is great in heat or cold and records great video. Get the large tube roll bar mount from GoPro. Never had an issue with camera dying or anything. One thing I will say is, use the recommended SD card on GoPro's website

Posts: 12 | Location: Loxahatchee, Fl | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B-rad2416:
Get the HERO +LCD. Battery is great in heat or cold and records great video. Get the large tube roll bar mount from GoPro. Never had an issue with camera dying or anything. One thing I will say is, use the recommended SD card on GoPro's website

I have the Hero +, which is this one without the screen. The specs are crappy compared to the others, but the video quality is still excellent. The LCD screen would be nice and make mounting more convenient, although I just eyeball it and the video comes out great. I can sync mine to my phone to see what the camera is seeing, if necessary.

I don't see the need to pay up for the latest and greatest GoPro when they are all very good.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks all!

All Pontiac. No Juice.

Posts: 34 | Location: Maple Grove, Mn | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post