Find
Notify
Tools

Towing ?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Towing ?

I just added floor mounts more forward to the front of my trailer so that I can pull from the front (cross tie) when tying down. Prior, the front of the car was directly over the floor mounts.

What is the preferred transmission position of the tied down door car when towing. Park, neutral or doesn’t matter?

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Never done anything different that put them in Park. Had plenty of transmissions open and never came across any problem from it. I have always figured if parking pawl can hold a 4000-5000 pound sedan on a hill then sitting in the trailer strapped down is a lot less strain for it.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I winch mine in so it's always in neutral.

Posts: 1458 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Always in park. Probably less chance of it getting away in case something else fails. Hope you put something substantial under the floor where you put the new mounts.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hope you put something substantial under the floor where you put the new mounts.

Same 3/16” thick 6160-T6 plate and 6k lb floor mounts Featherlite used.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You definitely want it in park. Put it in park AFTER it's cinched down.

If you put it in park before you cinch it down powerglide, you could possibly break park (rooster).

I know someone who watched his roll off an open trailer 70 mph, on camera.

If you can picture that.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
If you put it in park before you cinch it down powerglide, you could possibly break park (rooster).

Has a th400.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I winch mine in, tie it down, put the stabilizer under it, then put it in park...learned the hard way ONCE.....raised the nose of the trailer, pulled the stabilizer, pulled the tire straps, winch wasn't hooked up.....car was in neutral.....well you get the idea.....fortunately it didn't roll far....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Always put it in PARK after it is tied down good.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Ok, so been using enclosed trailers for almost 25 years now and never put a car in park until I built my stacker. The car on the lift goes in park so I can raise it to put straps on. I've also hauled my golf cart in trailers for 20+ years without ever tying that to anything. So you don't have to put it in park.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
for what its worth I always put it in park and strap it down. you want the car positioned on the axles so it balances out the trailer. I cross the backs and only one on the front. Car never moves and I tow 2.5+hours each way to every track. Glide in my car. I would never leave the car in neutral that is asking for a nightmare if something breaks or comes loose. I am sure you would feel it moving - but by then the damage is done.

Two weeks ago I had a kid in a small car back into the corner of my trailer. Luckily it hit the hinge and damaged his car more than the trailer. But even with the trailer at 12k and Super C motorhome, it was a decent jolt. So I am sure you would feel the car slamming back and forth.

Posts: 1438 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you can picture that.

Explain how load on the park pawl changes the load on the rooster comb? It's a rod pushing the pawl in double shear.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
Ok, so been using enclosed trailers for almost 25 years now and never put a car in park until I built my stacker. The car on the lift goes in park so I can raise it to put straps on. I've also hauled my golf cart in trailers for 20+ years without ever tying that to anything. So you don't have to put it in park.

Had a buddy last year...somehow the parking brake got released on the golf cart. ended up beating the h e l l out of the front valance of the race car with the rear seat step.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
quote:

If you can picture that.

Explain how load on the park pawl changes the load on the rooster comb? It's a rod pushing the pawl in double shear.

I always put this in park after I had it cinched down. One time I forgot, when I went to unload it, I pulled it out of park and it popped. The next week when I raced it, I didn't make it past the first time run, it had cracked the rooster, the lever was spinning in the rooster.

That's why I said you could possibly break the rooster.

I always put the car in park, after I cinch it down.

This is how I learned to pay more attention.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
I leave mine neutral after winching it in because I can't get the doors open enough to reach the shifter.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
I leave mine neutral after winching it in because I can't get the doors open enough to reach the shifter.

I just roll the window down before winching it in.

Most dudes I know with cars like yours hang the door on the wall, before winching the car in.

I've pulled off the highway thinking I forgot to put it in neutral, to check.

I jack knifed a open trailer years ago, towing it with a 71 Plymouth Duster, the car stayed on the trailer, I won't tow a mile, if it ain't in park.

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
Lexan and screwed in, mine don't roll down. Guy before used to take the door off and the fender has a big ass crack/busted spot from the door hitting it when lifting it off. The shape of these cars door can't lift off without hitting unless I also loosen the front end. I do leave the winch hooked with a slight amount of slack, and wheel chocks are in place.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:

I just roll the window down before winching it in.

Most dudes I know with cars like yours hang the door on the wall, before winching the car in.

I've pulled off the highway thinking I forgot to put it in neutral, to check.

I jack knifed a open trailer years ago, towing it with a 71 Plymouth Duster, the car stayed on the trailer, I won't tow a mile, if it ain't in park.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I always tie the heavy door car in Park. Always start at the front and roll the car forward a couple clicks on the ratchet strap. Then tie it good and tight from the rear.

The dragster I always leave in R/N. Years ago I forgot I’d untied it and drove about 20 miles with the car in Neutral and no straps, but the chassis stabilizer was still in place and the car didn’t move at all.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have considered tying down the front of the dragster too as bad as Illinois roads are. A few times I have gotten to the track and the right front wheel was resting in the trailer step recess, and one rear tie was off.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
I always tie the heavy door car in Park. Always start at the front and roll the car forward a couple clicks on the ratchet strap. Then tie it good and tight from the rear.

The dragster I always leave in R/N. Years ago I forgot I’d untied it and drove about 20 miles with the car in Neutral and no straps, but the chassis stabilizer was still in place and the car didn’t move at all.

I know a guy who happened to look at his trailer monitor as his door car rolled out of the back of the trailer at 70 mph.

He said he watched it do several donuts on the highway, never hit anything. Luckily

I'd imagine forgetting can get ugly quick.