DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    XS S1600 16V battery
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

XS S1600 16V battery
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted
Been using a XP1000 for several years. Looking to save some weight, the S1600 is 16lbs lighter but also has less CCA and less reserve. this is a blown alky TD that is towed to and from the track. Always on charger between rounds.

Does anyone have real world experience with this battery that can give me some feedback on whether I may have any issues making the change.

Thanks

Posts: 2416 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have had two of them both due to issues with another battery and my buddy having a new one on hand and I am not satisfied with the reserve of them at all. I did put an alternator before this past season but only 55 amp deal and still not totally happy with the battery. I am going back to my heavy turbostart

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I don't think 16lbs is going to make much of a difference. There are other places to lose it. I'd prefer to keep the extra capacity just in case....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I will agree the reserve can get a little short. Same deal here, Blown car, towed to and from track, but if it’s hard to start (more than 15-20 seconds of cranking) you can hear the starter slow down..

Posts: 289 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Steve, we installed an s1600 in the roadster Jeff built and it did not have much reserve. Two runs are all it had without some time to recharge.[no alternator] It bit us twice in the later rounds before we learned the lesson.[got lucky both times but it barely started. I was just about to try spinning it by hand Smile

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The D1600 in my Super 10 would go several rounds still spinning over strong [no alternator] We begin the day fully charged then charge between the early rounds, then in the later rounds maybe do a 10 min charge when possible. The last two or three rounds without charging was fine.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
while can not comment on question of the battery itself. 16 lbs is huge.Most of the time its around 100 bucks per lb. so thats equal to 1600 bucks in titanium or specialty aluminum parts. I spent more at times to save cpl pounds.they add up and 16 should be worth .016 in 1/4.Agree probably more places you can save,but why not get them all?

Put a quick connect in line between master cut off and starter,Use it to fire in pits or when can or run fans in pits. JM2C

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
A car with a blower having all that torque down low I highly doubt would notice much difference in the 16 lbs of weight.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I switched to the D1600 blue and white battery...heavy but dang sure has more in the tank as far as reserve.

Alternators just added insurance policies to each car, we do charge between rounds when possible but definitely NOT required.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
I switched to the D1600 blue and white battery...heavy but dang sure has more in the tank as far as reserve.

Alternators just added insurance policies to each car, we do charge between rounds when possible but definitely NOT required.

Same here, I have the D1600 and a Super Mini (not the Ultra Mini) from Mark Payne and it is the bomb setup. I even have electric fuel pump and shifter. Now, I do know a few buddies who run alcohol who don't run their fans as much as I do to keep engine temps in range who run the S1600 in their dragsters. It seems like with less draw from fan, and also being on a mechanical fuel pump they get away with just as much run time with no charging as me (w/ alternator of course).

I would say if your charging between rounds every time, and towing to the lanes.. You should be completely fine with the S1600 in your setup...

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
d1600 plus alternator here also. just charge mine at start of the day until the xs charger reaches float mode then good to go for the day.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
A car with a blower having all that torque down low I highly doubt would notice much difference in the 16 lbs of weight.

25 years of building,working and tuning blower cars with butt loads of tq I can promise you it knows when its looses weight. 16 lbs will not move you from number 12 to number 1 but it will get you closer.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Steve I have one I got on trade and carry for a spare. Put it in a few weeks ago and I don't like the way it starts the car compared to the D1600 also it discharged a lot more after a pass wouldn't work well for me.
Blake

Posts: 400 | Location: Vinita, OK | Registered: April 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Big Steve, My motor is not as big and bad as yours and I had a problem with my battery. Fuel system was not quite right and it did not start quickly. Ran battery down and it cost me several rounds of racing and almost Championship. So I would say it is not worth it to downsize. IMHO. When everything is perfect you may never have a problem but if you do it will be later rounds when you need it most. By the way I run an alternator and it was charging good.

I think the GoLithium battery would be a much better option if you just have to save weight.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3999 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
The thought process behind this was not to go faster, my car will already run well under the TD 6.10 index. I am 2140lbs with my fat ass in the seat so I am on the heavy side for sure. I was planning on swapping out my 3 year old XP1000 battery for new so not spending any money to save weight and since the front of the car is on the heavy side, why not knock 16lbs off the front half while I am at it, car may work better. Battery is not in the nose, its about 2 feet behind the front wheels.

I have got both positive and negative input about the battery, engine has always started right up since I start on gas, 10 pitch Mezier starter and 139 tooth flexplate, only running ignition, water pump and data logger during the run, car is towed to and from track and always on the charger between runs my gut says it will be fine but will give it some more thought for sure.

Posts: 2416 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
I’ve used dozens of s1600 in cars that aren’t towed and started often, zero issue. If the budget allows look at the 920 altronics lithium.

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

Posts: 4658 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I use the s1600 I am on alky with a small alt and I have no issues. On days I double enter ill charge battery after 2 hits just bc it makes me feel better. but when I'm single entered it just gets charged the week prior for a little bit. I use a little 5* start retard in grid and it fires up quick.

Posts: 102 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
I use an a start retard also, its an house of payne ultimate big dawg 139. it just wings it over retarded fast. ! Big Grin

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update, I bought a S1600 and on a cold 40* day I spun the engine over for 10 secs 3 times in a row and the starter never slowed down a bit so that's a great sign. Only disappointing thing was based on the XS info I would save 16lbs making the switch, after weighing both the XP1000 and S1600 the 1600 is only 12.3 lbs less.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
Run the S1600 as well, had good luck with it too. Crazy about the weight, figured they would be closer than that Smile

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post