DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Trans brake roll
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trans brake roll
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I have started using a trans brake this year and when staging my car seems to "roll" when I engage trans brake. Watching on video it seems to relax and not actually roll. I see some cars do it , some don't and some do it more or less the others. I've tried staging with and without rpms. 60ft and ET are all fine. What would correct the issue of the roll/rock and I do not want to wire my line loc to my trans brake.

Posts: 1625 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Lou could it be your transition from getting on the button and releasing the foot brake?

Also make sure the band is correctly adjusted…turn the adjuster screw all the way in and seated to 72 in/lbs then back it out 3 1/2 turns

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What Ed said and other question is how much back lash in rear end when you’re foot braking your rear is loaded on trans brake trans is locked but I’ve seen cars rock because of back lash not common but another thing to take out of the equation

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Try to increase staging rpm if that doesnt work there is always a rear wheel line lock as a option tied to trans brake wire.

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 397 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Count the turns to 72 inch pounds, if you count 3 3/4 turns, it's not the band.

Next thing you do if band checks good, check pressure at the servo cover in low gear at idle & in low gear at 2,200 rpm. Should be a 25-30psi difference.

Next thing to do if the pressure difference in low gear at idle and 2200 rpm's checks out, you most likely need to tighten reverse clearance. Should be .050 or 060 clearance.

It could also be you have light reverse piston springs and you need heavy, or vice versa.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
A good pump is a big plus and in a door car tie the line loc to the brake

Wire diodes in that circuit and you don't need a switch to forget......

I used a switch in one car and occasionally forgot it and you kow it real quick when you can't do a burnout...

The diode arrangement makes it a no brainer......

One trans I had in my first dragster always jerked forward slightly when I picked the rpm up, was very distracting and no way I could have that going on....

A Dedenabaer pump fixed it and that trans worked very well......STR built it and fixed it with the pump change...Never had a problem again and No I did not ever use any kind of line loc arrangement on a dragster

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I thought this was a thread about sushi.....sorry, had to

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
on a digital delay box there isa built in delay,is small,but the brake pedal must be held long enough to allow full set

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1394 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
A couple of old very successful racers told me years ago to tie the front line loc to the trans brake. Rock solid staging, never moved a 1/8 of a inch. All mechanical issues need to be resolved first though, trans line pressure, band adjustment, rear gear backlash etc.

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Of course that won't work in a dragster and I don't like the idea of rear line loc so ....

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T172JR:
I do not want to wire my line loc to my trans brake.

no need to.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
I can not tell you how long I fought this same issue. New high $ Gerotor pump, higher pressure spring, double lip servo, higher staging rpm and of course tie the line lock into the trans brake. The FIX for this came from sonnax, the part is a servo kit part number 28821-10K.
Now I can idle in, I removed the line-lock from the trans brake, I stopped burning the centers out of the band. Literally, the best money I have ever spent on my glide.

read about it here
https://www.sonnax.com/parts/4...atio-style-servo-kit

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sr4440:
I can not tell you how long I fought this same issue. New high $ Gerotor pump, higher pressure spring, double lip servo, higher staging rpm and of course tie the line lock into the trans brake. The FIX for this came from sonnax, the part is a servo kit part number 28821-10K.
Now I can idle in, I removed the line-lock from the trans brake, I stopped burning the centers out of the band. Literally, the best money I have ever spent on my glide.

read about it here
https://www.sonnax.com/parts/4...atio-style-servo-kit

Joe

Very nice piece. All three servo kits Sonnax produces are very nicely thought out, this is their creme of the creme kit.

Big Steve runs one too I'd imagine

That's the Mac Daddy Sonnax Servo kit.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don't know why you wouldn't want to tie in the line lock to the TB on a door car.

I didn't have it for a while and then added it. I saw no difference. Box and pro tree with out a box. Just an added safety measure in my opinion.

If your front brakes are locked,the only way the suspension will relax will be rearward with having a LL applied. The front end suspension might settle but the front tires should stay in the same position.

Prove me how I am wrong.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
I don't know why you wouldn't want to tie in the line lock to the TB on a door car.

I didn't have it for a while and then added it. I saw no difference. Box and pro tree with out a box. Just an added safety measure in my opinion.

If your front brakes are locked,the only way the suspension will relax will be rearward with having a LL applied. The front end suspension might settle but the front tires should stay in the same position.

Prove me how I am wrong.

Some may believe it is inconsistent brake pressure to release in the beams.

I know a guy with a line lock in line with the trans brake, who was in 13 Super Pro final rounds on 21 entry's at Sunshine, so personally I'm not a believer in this theory.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I heard a rumor though, he had the line lock which is in line with the trans brake, on the back brakes.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I think it says one wire unbroken to trans brake. One wire one button.
I agree , fix the issue.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4473 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What says one wire one button ?

Show the rule please. Show the sanctioning body and show the tracks that check for that rule.

Why do my delay box's have a terminal for a LL?

If I remove the box I have a jumper that does the same thing to react off a pro tree.

Tell us how we are cheating. I have old school msd ignitions. No need for the digital/grid stuff.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
There is a roll against drive wheel line locks yet I’ve seen many dragsters with them

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by M120:
What says one wire one button ?
I think…. What you are doing off the box is legal????

Nobody said anything about cheating....

It’s in the rule book..

Wiring may consist of a single (i.e., “one” or “1”) continuous
wire from a power source to a switch (or button), and a single
continuous wire from the switch to the transbrake OR line-loc
solenoid. One splice (no quick-disconnect) is permitted from the
two-step to the solenoid (i.e., between the switch and the solenoid).
All switches, buttons, wiring, solenoids, etc. must be for normal
automotive use; i.e., not intended to create a delay (adjustable or
non-adjustable) between release of the button and the resultant
action of the solenoid. All line-loc/transbrake wiring before and after
the switch must be separate from any other wiring and fully visible.
Computer wiring, sensors, relays, and the like may not be wired to
the solenoid wiring. Two-steps or other rev limiters that are
adjustable by thumbwheel, replaceable chips, and the like may not
be within the driver’s reach and will preferably be located outside
the driver compartment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4473 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post