DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Crabking compression vs cam timing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crabking compression vs cam timing
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
While working on few last minute items today I decided to check cranking compression on FED. It was lot lower than I figured 150 psi. Decided the cam timing was issue after checking 3 more and ll the same.

I moved cam gear one hole which is one degree and cc went up to 165.So going right direction ent another hole and was 190 psi. Cam is now at 35* at .050 lift. So figured see how far I could go. Third move picked up 5 more psi. Fourth move no change and same with 5 the. Seems 36* @ .050 is about best spot.

Question. Isn't 30 to 35 pis increase a lot for 2 to 3 degrees?

I do realize cam is good amount to big,296*at .050.Will replace later with about 10* less intake and about 15 less exhaust. Amybe cam being too big is reason it seemed to make bigger gain than I expected for such small change.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4174 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Way back when we weren't so smart we found advancing the cam until compression quit increasing is where the engine ran best.
Larry Torres(T&D rocker arms) and I were running oddball combinations (Buick V-6 and I was using Mopar W2 322ci)
Never really cared about "degreeing" a cam in, just advanced for max compression.
He won alot of races and was always a "hitter" in Comp and I could go a few rounds sometimes.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4448 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I don't think that is completely unusual. Although 3 degrees is surprising.
how is your piston to valve clearance looking? Maybe you have plenty in the Hemi?
Everyone told me to ignore cranking compression years ago. I ran loops including timing and valve lash on both sides. I found my largest possible cranking compression, and ran it. It ran the fastest that cam had ever run.
The cam I have in it now, that didn't hold true. But I think my current cam is just plain wrong for my combo. I don't think any of my experience tells you anything. LOL.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6373 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Ok I gotta ask, WTH is "Crabking compression" Confused

Uncontrollable Laugh

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Crab King

Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Its my finger hitting the key it wants instead of one I was aiming for.Lucky for me my rifle shots are more accurate,not so much for the deer.

Started to change it but hell too funny.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

Posts: 4174 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Now I have put a hurting on more than one all you can eat crab leg buffets. Cpl put hurt on me 4 hours later. Hey it said all you can eat not all you can keep down.LMAO

Crab king compression is what I was hurling into toilet at 3 am.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Piston to valve should be more than fine. I have run same cam in engine at 42 @.050 when it had blower on it. HAving said that I did have 180 psi with it set there.

Cranking compression is very useful tool.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Change the convertor!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":

Uncontrollable Laugh

That's what you get on the exhaust port when you take in too much crab through the intake port... Eek

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Sorry What does convetor have to do with it.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:
quote:

Uncontrollable Laugh

That's what you get on the exhaust port when you take in too much crab through the intake port... Eek

Got that right and sometimes it backfires thru the intake port.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Sorry What does convetor have to do with it.

It's a joke in reference to a former member here......

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Is a transgender considered a converter?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6373 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Leave it low and put a blower on it, mine it right at 150 psi and it gets real happy with 25lbs of boost Big Grin

Posts: 2409 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

No, that would be a per-verter

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Ok was thinking about that former problem on the converter thing.

As for blower thing thats always possible,intake on shelf,wall full of pulleys and cpl drives on another shelf.Only thing is pulley combos start at 45% od and go up to 120%, But dang those blowers are hard to see around especially my old whippple. Have pic some where can't remember site I changed to after photo bucket.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do realize cam is good amount to big,296*at .050

That sounds absurd.

As far as "change the converter"

By going from 150 to 190 psi, it should increase your stall most likely by 600 rpms.

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I would leave it at 150 lb and run a 400 fogger Holy Moly

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

No, that would be a per-verter

That makes more sense. Thanks for clearing that up! Not worthy

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo