DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Line lock in dragsters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Line lock in dragsters
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
It's not the transmission. Normal spline slop alone can cause a small rocking, which can distract you on a pro tree. When I set the button, I don't want any movement at all.
I've run line locks in both cars for YEARS with a separate reverse switch and a relay. Line lock goes through the normally closed contacts when staging, open relay allows normal reverse. I don't hard pump the brakes, so I've never seen any reaction time issue.

If you've never tried it, how are you qualified to make declarative statements about that which you are ignorant of??

RIP

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 794 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Big difference between rocking and settling in due to driveline slop/backlash when the button is pushed

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Trans is out of my car. Does it rock forward? Yep consistently about 1/4". I like to flicker the second bulb, push the button, and let go of the foot brake. That generally turns the second bulb on full.
I can see advantages either way. I have always had consistent lights, so not really inclined to change. Honestly release of brake pressure and relying on the line lock to do so consistently concerns me a little. But I also get why they would be used.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Had a built ATI glide, nothing but going up on RPM before setting the brake would keep it from a little rocking. Ended up putting in the bandaid, have a K&R box so wiring was simple but I put a toggle switch in. As I came up to stage, I would turn on the linelock - make my run and on the return road turn it back off. It did work.

Later I started building my own glides, linelock is still in the car but I don't need it anymore and I can stage at idle.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I also get why they would be used.

yep as a bandaid for a trans that does not work as it should.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post