DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Pertronix timing retarding
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pertronix timing retarding
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted
I’m experiencing ignition timing retard when rpm increases with this Pertronix Digital HP ignition in my 383 sbc. Parts: MSD 85501 locked distributor, Pertronix Digital HP and matched Pertronix coil, Cloyes Hex Adjust timing cover, mild solid roller cam. The cam isn’t walking forward. I can set 34 degrees at 1000 rpm, take it to 4,000 - 5,000 rpm and timing has retarded 10 degrees! The ignition retards smoothly and is inversely proportional to rpm increase. I tried several timing lights. I currently have 44 degrees of timing at idle, knowing it is 34ish at 5k. Starting is ok with the start retard feature of the ignition box. Do I unknowingly have the latest “hot setup”? What should I do here?

Mike Allred

Posts: 276 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: March 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Have you considered calling the manufacture?

What number is the mode dial set to?

Perhaps try moving the mode dial to other selections and then return to the original number setting and try.

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted Hide Post
Tech at Pertronix was cooperative but said they’d never had a customer experience this. He forwarded the issue to engineering and said he’d reply back to me, but no word yet (several months ago).
The mode selector was returned to zero after programming the unit and setup of the Digital HP was accomplished three times after noticing the problem. The problem arose on the engine stand and since installing in the truck, I’ve been delayed in running the motor.

Mike Allred

Posts: 276 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: March 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted Hide Post
Electronic component latency timing seems to effect some timing boxes more than others. Once the cooling system is complete and motor running I’ll check total timing retard at a probably scary high rpm and adjust from there. This is a footbrake car and advance at 2500rpm being 45 degrees might even help throttle response. This 45 degrees will retard to 35ish degrees by 6k and might be ok. Check your timing for retard, especially those with what they think is locked timing.

Mike Allred

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted Hide Post
Update: I have checked cam walk with the Cloyes quick-button timing cover and was able to remove all but 7 degrees of timing retard. There is definitely a bit of preload timing cover tension now, but I still have timing going from 41 to 34 degrees in a smooth, linear manner from idle to 6,000rpm. It is what it is. Could a worn timing chain contribute to this?

Mike Allred

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Is it this Cloyes cover you're speaking of?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
You should not set total timing at idle,ever, unless it is a stock bag-o-crap. 4000-5000 minimum,depending of course what your max rpm making power is. At higher rpm all the slack in the chain, oil pump load, cam walk, twist in the cam is done.and do not preload those little cam buttons, you should still have .005-.007
If you have centrifugal advance then set your initial, then rev it up to set total.
Anything else you are just wasting time and power.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted Hide Post
@The distributor is locked out and I still have 6 to 7 degrees of retard. I want to set timing at 34 degrees, but have to set at 41 degrees because as rpm rises, the timing creeps back to 34 at 4500rpm and stays there as rpm climbs higher. There is currently a slight amount of preload on the cam button. Cloyes instructions have the installer bottom the button against the cam and lock it there.

Mike - Yes, that is the cover I use.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Allred,

Mike Allred

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted Hide Post
Mike, thanks for the video. I had no idea the cover itself would have that much flex in it. Mystery solved. Thanks again.

Mike Allred

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bushing 005-007 end play. When I was on a chain BBC, I ran a Australian Rollmaster timing chain w/ needle bearing. I always ran 002-004

This is a Rollmaster, I used on this. The best.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Allred:
Mike, thanks for the video. I had no idea the cover itself would have that much flex in it. Mystery solved. Thanks again.