DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Trans temp issue
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trans temp issue
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FTI:
One thing you should do is remove the top cooler line and placed in a bottle. it should pump a quart of fluid at idle in less than 30 seconds. No fluid should come from the top fitting on the case!!! Only from the line!!If not there is a flow problem in the cooler circuit. It could be a check valve in pump stuck open,a check valve in cooler,bad cooler line,mix matched pump and input. If this flow is not correct it will affect the performance of the car as well due to this is where converter charge pressure is regulated.

Greg

Yea I did all that, plus changed the pump, input, cooler, lines, valve body yadda yadda and it still ran hot. just gave up and unplugged the sensor and never looked back

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
I get it. Does the numbers match up as far as et and speed.

Greg

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 163 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Just a question is this a regular bracket pass or is this a S/C 8.90 pass where you would go on the stop shift come off the stop in high gear finish the run ?

Posts: 120 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
While the application is totally different, on my truck I worked with another member on here who is a high-up at a specific gauge company to do some R&D to verify what he had found.

I run two thermal probes, one in the back of the pan and one in the hot side cooler line. 1/4 NPT Tee block, 6AN to 1/4 adapters, and a 1/4 to 1/8 reducer bung with the probe in it. Probe does not stick into the flow path, fluid passes across the tip.

What we found is that having the probe in the thermally isolated hydraulic line gave a much more realistic, and dynamic, temperature reading. What we also found is that the pan runs about 20-30 degrees cooler than the line, with some variance for cooler styles/types.

Going down the highway at 70 MPH, my glide shows 190 in the pan and 225 in the line. Line temps go up on inclines/under load then go back down, while the pan remains fairly steady since the pan and case acts as a massive heatsink. I'm running a 16 pass tube cooler with 10" fan.

If you think your pan is hot, you probably don't want to know what the fluid actually gets up to. My gauge intentionally stops at 240 degrees...if the line temp goes higher than that, I really don't want to know.

Posts: 34 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Big Steve for the win, unplug the sensor. Or in my case with no trans temp gauge , no worries....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post