New
Find
Notify
Tools

Racepak sensors
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I have a questions on the sensors. I have heard conflicting stories that the sensors should be on a hose or block for vibration reasons. Is this the case. currently on my brand new car the fuel sensor is directly on the regulator, vac sensor is on the vac pump, trans temp is on the pan, water temp is on the manifold and i had a small hose made for the oil sensor. Please advise.

Posts: 100 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
NO matter the brand of data logger, it is suggested to not solidly mount any sensor. I have seen where solid mounted sensors wont read smooth, and by putting a hose between component and sensor, then zip tying the sensor to something, cleans the graph right up.

**edit**

my water temp sensor and and trans temp sensor are solid mounted, and those 2 sensors have been replaced a couple times, where as the sensors i have a hose between, are still performing as they did when new.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 703 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I remote mounted my vacuum and pressure sensors with the Holley sensor block. The link below is a picture of my installation.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1ydrRFeqkauZb3AY9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ahBfHKP3Fbt21YSaA

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 463 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S/C718:
I have a questions on the sensors. I have heard conflicting stories that the sensors should be on a hose or block for vibration reasons. Is this the case. currently on my brand new car the fuel sensor is directly on the regulator, vac sensor is on the vac pump, trans temp is on the pan, water temp is on the manifold and i had a small hose made for the oil sensor. Please advise.
nothing to be concerned about, both my cars have racepak sensors that are mounted directly and have been for many years without issue.

fuel pressure

water temp

trans temp

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, I think it's just the pressure and vacuum sensors that are recommended to be remotely mounted. I have these sensors mounted with a a rubber lined band clamp attache to the frame of the chassis and the temperature sensors mounted directly to the engine and transmission.

Posts: 194 | Location: Corunna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Pressure transducers/vacuum are the ones that are to be remote mounted. Temp and other sensors don't need to be as they aren't affected by vibrations.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Vacuum

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have had both vac and oil & fuel pressure sensors hard mounted in the past. Fuel sensor on the regulator, oil pressure on the block and vac in on the valve cover. About 6 or 7 years ago a POS Oliver rod broke. After the rebuild the oil pressure sensor worked but the numbers were out to lunch! So, vibrations can kill a pressure sensor. This should not be a surprise though; a race car environment is not a friendly place for all electronic equipment! Mounting any electronic equipment in a manner to reduce vibrations is a good thing. I now have the oil and vac sensors remotely mounted. Still no issues with the fuel sensor mounted on the regulator.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
I don't run pressure or vacuum sensors but my water, oil and trans temps are directly mounted. I need pressure and vac sensors but the prices make me cringe. I'll keep searching the swap meets for the time being.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Pressure and Vac sensors can be damaged from vibration. There is a green printed circuit board in the sensors. Some guys get away with sensors directly in the block etc. Most do not.

The other advantage of a remote mount is to prevent sensors from being damaged during engine removal or lost/damaged by your engine guy.

Fuel pressure seems to be OK mounted in the regulator - in many cases that's not rock-solid so that's probably why.

Temperature senders are fine solid mounted.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need pressure and vac sensors but the prices make me cringe. I'll keep searching the swap meets for the time being.

Avoid cheap transducer sensors (Low Dollar .com , ect) and purchase quality ones from companies like Rife / Holley SSI / Honeywell.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
All,

Thank you for the great feedback. I have put the oil sensor on a hose and it is not directly mounted now. I will also be moving the vac sensor. The others I will leave. Again thanks for the feedback.

Posts: 100 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i recently purchased a sensor from low dollar and so far so good

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1391 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have never had any issues with Low Dollar motorsports sensors. We had to go to their shock stuff as lately Holley can't seem to get you anything racepak. I have had a driveshaft harness on order for going on 3 months. They send an update emial occasionally pushing the date back further each time. Almost like they want you to go to the Holley stuff which I will next time, or someone else.

As for the question at hand we mount pressure sensors remotely except the fuel pressure and never been an issue.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 985 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post