DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    55MM cam plug size
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

55MM cam plug size
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted
Went to install can plug in a new World products Merlin IV block and the standard size cam plug is way to small. Wondering if it needs a 55mm cam plug. Measures about 2 3/8 in diameter.
I don't know if anyone has encountered this problem or is it just me?LOL
I'll be calling World products in the AM.
Just wondered if anybody has a size/dimension of the plug I need.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple new World blocks left over from the shop Bruce. They always came with a small parts kit. I can open one up and measure it in the morning if you need.
When they first came out I used to just make a plug in the lathe with an o-ring and a little press. Then drilled/tapped one or two 1/4-20 button head bolts to hold it in.
I THINK I eventually found out that 60mm freeze plugs worked.....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
Dave the new Merlin IV is a bit different from the older models.
New cam tunnel is all the same size like the Darts.
In the back of the block there is a large step after the cam journal. My thinking is the cam plug area is machined for the 55MM bearings.
I ruined the cam bearings they shipped installing them in the 2.1 bore.
I'll check into the 60MM plug.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post