New
Find
Notify
Tools

dry sump lines
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
new motor is dry sump set up all new to me can I use the black lite weight line or do I need to use the SS lines on this?

Posts: 408 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
From the Professionals @ Peterson.

What type of hose is recommended for dry sump / wet sump oiling applications?

We recommend running high quality steel braid on all of the suction lines from the oil pan and oil tank to the pump. Steel braid is tougher to suck closed and isn't as prone to loosing it's rigidity when the oil gets hot.

The two top of the line brands we recommend are Brown and Miller and the XRP Hypalon hose. We are distributors for Brown and Miller and can build hose kits to fit your vehicle with your provided measurements. The two primary benefits of running either of the above lines of hose/fittings is that the manufactures went to great lengths to make their products very light weight and extremely flexible. This hose can be manipulated much easier than typical steel braid hose. The inside diameters of the above hoses are also larger than standard allowing more fluid flow through them.

That being said a normal high quality steel braid hose such as Aeroquip, Earls, or XRP will work fine.

We've had people use the Aeroquip starlite hose in a few applications and that hose has collapsed causing oiling issues. We don't recommend running the inner support spring as it shrinks the ID of the hose down and also induces quite a bit of turbulence into the fluid flow.

We occasionally get the dreaded "I plumbed my dry sump system in push-lock hose and scattered an engine" phone call. We hate to receive that call because it could have easily been avoided. Once push lock hose heats up with the oil temp it becomes extremely soft and pliable. Which makes it more susceptible to collapsing and possibly causing catastrophic engine failure.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
thank you TD3550

Posts: 408 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
After doing some research on same subject I went with Fragola 6000 series black PTFE hose on my new dry sump motor. Extremely durable and does not break down like rubber lined hoses will. Drawback to it is not as flexible as rubber lined hose and can kink.
Also the PTFE inner liner will not collapse under suction like some steel braided rubber hose. The PTFE will last longer but is a little more money up front.

What ever you decide on make sure you use same brand hose and fittings on it all.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4005 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Interesting topic but I will share that when we used a dry sump on a TAFC that we used steel reinforced hose with clamps on all suction lines and braid on pressure lines. The reinforced hose had the steel embedded in its rubber unlike running a braided hose where the SS isn’t integral to the rubber carrying the oil under suction. Food for thought. Flame on about how this isn’t about a funny car. Lol

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Like kind/quality to hydraulic line All embedded.
STRONG......

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Most of the lightweight hose will need a coil to stop it from collapsing. The coil is steel and it will hold metal particulate so why use it?
The weight savings is negligible, especially with having to insert the coil.
The only advantage is building the hose over steel braided.
I used that junk from Aeroquip years ago and unknown to me is was collapsing under vacuum and the pump did not scavenge the oil and there was not enough oil being returned to the tank to feed the engine, and kept eating the bearings. It took submerging the scavenge hoses in hot water in the sink under vacuum to find the issue. There was no mention of needing the coil in their catalog at the time either. Cost me a bundle of money.
Stay with the regular steel braided stuff for scavenge and pressure.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bry-war:
Interesting topic but I will share that when we used a dry sump on a TAFC that we used steel reinforced hose with clamps on all suction lines and braid on pressure lines. The reinforced hose had the steel embedded in its rubber unlike running a braided hose where the SS isn’t integral to the rubber carrying the oil under suction. Food for thought. Flame on about how this isn’t about a funny car. Lol

Yeah the green stripe wire reinforced hose was actually marine water hose used in marine cooling systems. It would not collapse, especially trying to suck nitro 70 oil.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's the stuff. I do recall the marine spec now.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post