DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Because I'm nuts...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Because I'm nuts...
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Congrats Chad. My father started running in stock and then super stock back in the late 60's and drove quite a bit up until I started running in the late 90's. We always had a blast. I sold my Super Stock Olds here about 3 years ago. Was a SS/NA car with the 307 in it. We have always done our own engines and dad did the heads 90% of the time. We were a low budget operation, but we got that car to run 1.40 under before we sold it. We were in the process of going through our other Olds to do an LS GT combination but my father has run into some serious health issues that may end up shelving that project unfortunately. Good luck
Rick Ryan

Posts: 3 | Location: Aberdeen, SD | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SC1834:
Very cool, Chad.

Fred is the creator of the front wheel drive conversions GT class, I recall. There has been some amazing stuff come out of that shop on the Grand River! Good luck with your new hot rod.

The Sunfire his daughter Victoria drives is one of my favorite SS rides.

Rob

Yea the Sunfire is a beautiful race car!

Posts: 1404 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rryan5429:
Congrats Chad. My father started running in stock and then super stock back in the late 60's and drove quite a bit up until I started running in the late 90's. We always had a blast. I sold my Super Stock Olds here about 3 years ago. Was a SS/NA car with the 307 in it. We have always done our own engines and dad did the heads 90% of the time. We were a low budget operation, but we got that car to run 1.40 under before we sold it. We were in the process of going through our other Olds to do an LS GT combination but my father has run into some serious health issues that may end up shelving that project unfortunately. Good luck
Rick Ryan

I hear you. That was a factor in deciding to do this. I'll be 55 this year and my dad and I have done everything together since I was 15. He has health issues as well. One day he said, "Wish we would have tried Super Stock" I was like, let's do it.

Posts: 1404 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Good for you guys. I'd like to be able to finish this project, but time will tell. We have all the short block pieces and he was making good progress on the heads but there is still a lot of work left in them and the intake. Plus, the car still needs some chassis updating and new fuel system and all the electronics for the efi system. If not oh well, we had a good run over the years, couple national event wins between us and several class records and I'll continue running my bracket car with my son. Super stock racing sure hasn't gotten any cheaper in the last few years lol.

Posts: 3 | Location: Aberdeen, SD | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I’m sure you will have a blast and be fast. I love the conversion cars. Gary Hanson does some beautiful cars too. Brad Rounds was behind us in Vegas. Had time to check it out. That car is gorgeous!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4465 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
So I picked up the engine yesterday. 350 cid with a set of straight plug Edelbrocks and Victor E that I done. Engine made 647@7100. Gonna do my thing to it. Should be fun!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
"I’m guessing the high compression big valve engine makes at least 650 and probably well more with all the good parts out there today"

My earlier guess was pretty close.......a little high and optimistic but unless it has the latest and greatest in it, probably more there

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
"I’m guessing the high compression big valve engine makes at least 650 and probably well more with all the good parts out there today"

My earlier guess was pretty close.......a little high and optimistic but unless it has the latest and greatest in it, probably more there

It has the latest piston design in it. Bushed lifters but still a small cam tunnel. I'm going to have that fixed. Update the heads with angle plug. The chamber is totally different because of the plug location. Try a couple different legal 780 carbs.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
So other than the standard go to like Coan, ATI, A1, is there any hidden gem Super Stock converters companies out there? Doesn't hurt to ask!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Been working on my manifold at night. Have around 33 hours in it so far. It's ready for epoxy.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpeierRacingHeads:
quote:

It has the latest piston design in it. Bushed lifters but still a small cam tunnel. I'm going to have that fixed. Update the heads with angle plug. The chamber is totally different because of the plug location. Try a couple different legal 780 carbs.

How big can you go in the tunnel? Roller bearings?

Wow that manifold has hours! Looks good!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4465 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
quote:
quote:

How big can you go in the tunnel? Roller bearings?

Wow that manifold has hours! Looks good!

As big as you want. Mine is a 50mm and has Honda journals and small piston pins.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The man I worked for back in the '80's-'90's was a very skilled man.

He did the VJ's on all the heads that were for Stockers and SS'ers....

Old rules very restrictive....3 angle no bowl work no porting....yes eventually he did some epoxy on intake runners and we had some little tricks but I'm sure they were mild compared to what others might have done

Kwik Way seat grinder....Stones....Same thing I still use at home....

He also did Intake porting for SS'ers

He spent hours welding the outside corner radius' on Vic JR Intakes to straighten the turns out as much as possible and did the plenum entry and polished the entire intake as much as possible

We did Dart BB manifolds too when they came out as they made more HP than the much smaller Edelbrocks....

The Vic Jr intake mods was usually worth at least a tenth and usually more

That Vic E I think you have there took a ton of work to get where it's at and getting a spacer blended on there is a ton more work....

I like the intake port entry mods myself and think that has to be a little better....raised pent roof......

Are your hands BUZZING.......LOL They must be.....!

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Yea, I personally love the old school stuff. I still do stocker head valve jobs with stones.

All this stuff is becoming a lost art. All the pioneers are dying off.

Grinding, oh man. I had to shut it down a month ago for a week. This is what happened. Doctor said it was from grinding. Only image what things will be like at 70! HA!

DRR Trophy
Picture of Tyler Laue
posted Hide Post
quote:
So other than the standard go to like Coan, ATI, A1, is there any hidden gem Super Stock converters companies out there? Doesn't hurt to ask!

Have you researched frank lupos dynamic converters or ptc?

Posts: 18 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Frank Lupo's partner from when he started Dynamic was Lenny Croteu..............Frank Lupo's father owned Fairbanks and he formed his own company...Dynamic

I had Dynamic do some transmission work for me in the mid 1980's

Lenny opened his own converter company years later.....Ultimate Converters

I think he sold it but had a real good rep with the Stocker racers

Stock and SS was what ATI was famous for and rightly so

I bought an ATI Treemaster around 1983 and it was clearly better than the A-1 I had previously......

Had ATI's for years in my dragsters......always good pieces...

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lenny opened his own converter company years later.....Ultimate Converters

I think he sold it but had a real good rep with the Stocker racers

Lenny sold it last year or the year before to a guy in SC. He was staying on for a bit to help out with the transition, not sure if he’s still there or not. Nice guy.

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yea, I personally love the old school stuff. I still do stocker head valve jobs with stones.

All this stuff is becoming a lost art. All the pioneers are dying off.

Grinding, oh man. I had to shut it down a month ago for a week. This is what happened. Doctor said it was from grinding. Only image what things will be like at 70! HA!

Wow! Holy crap! Starting to take supplements and I’m 65. Hands cramp up. I drink lots of water too. Started doing stretch exercises for fingers and hand. The delicate jobs become a little tougher.
Rich has been after it longer than I, his stories / knowledge are priceless.
Are you doing any Stock heads Chad? Alum Edelbrock 60547?

Raceless in California!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
If I knew how to post pictures I'd show my heads that I was freshening up the day before getting knocked on my old a-s-s by the grim reaper who tried to come for me....

Doing a VJ on aluminum heads with stones is tedious and difficult but I get by.

You can make a stone for just about any seat but it's tough not to hit the aluminum of the head on the top cut....

I did have a Kwik-Way seat and guide machine with an air float table and could have bought the VJ stuff to use cutters but sold that machine years ago

I did use it to fix some heads but it was no SERDI or Sunnen VGS 20......

Most people have no idea how much the equipment and tooling costs to do just heads alone.....and use modern equipment.....I DO ! A lot of $$$

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hands cramp up. I drink lots of water too.

If you're cramping you're low on electrolytes. "Sodium, potassium, and chloride are the significant electrolytes along with magnesium, calcium, phosphate, and bicarbonates". Sodium chloride is table salt, that's why they use to use salt tablets when sweating. Electrolytes helps the cells to communicate. Which is to say you can have ample water in your system but if you're electrolyte deficient cells won't re-hydrate once depleted via sweat. Sports drinks replace electrolytes but also calories. If you don't want the calories then they have "electrolyte water beverage" such as Propel by gator aid. A powder you simply add to your water. Good luck Gramps!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2323 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post