DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Flexplate Suggestions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flexplate Suggestions
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Flexplate stickers were looked at ONCE at an NHRA event early in the year as I recall some years ago but it's extremely unlikely anymore.

Generally they look at safety stuff and chassis stickers at division races.

NO tech at national events....except for occasional spot checks in the lanes....or none at all.

I always print out the electronic tech card with all my SFI numbers and dates on it and give that to the tech guy, they love those because they can read them

At this past weekends Div race the only thing that was actually looked at on my car was the SFI sticker on the rear wheels.....

Posts: 2399 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I took the stickers off my trans and keep them in a clear plastic bag....

I also have pictures on my phone of everything on the car.....including the wheels, chassis and trans. and write it all down on the tech card clearly as I can.

Never any hassle at all. Our Div Tech guys are all good guys.

Play by the rules and you have no problems....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NC3x58:
Broke an ATI last season from a backfire, proceded to put in a new TCI like we've used for many years and no issues yet again. Seems like from now on we'll just be using the less than $100 because you never know when one is going to break.

The odds are very high a 139 tooth wheel would not have broke....

I had severe kickbacks for a short time and twisted the armature in a starter (2013).....never hurt the flexplate

Last year I started to have cold start issues out of the blue a few times and the engine backfired starting up......hurt a starter drive but not the flexplate…..

The same JW 139 tooth plate was on the car for 6+ years.....re-certed once....and numerous wicked kick backs......the rotor phasing was off slightly causing those kickbacks....

I'm a big believer in the added strength of those 139 tooth wheels...…

I just bought a new ATI and will keep my old JW as a spare.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Just wondering when was the last time someone had an NHRA tech crawl under your car to check the date on your flexplate?

It's been maybe 5 years or so ago, but at the Houston NHRA division race they were running all the S/G cars up on ramps and checking them. A lot were sent packing. This is according to Tommy Madgen.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just wondering when was the last time someone had an NHRA tech crawl under your car to check the date on your flexplate?

One less thing to worry about lol Trans fluid lol
Congrats...Gave it H***.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
House of Payne Ultimate Big Dawg 139 starter and JW The Wheel 139 flexplate
Have used this combo for years

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Definitely go with the 139 tooth flexplate and starter, one of best investment I have made.

When I went to the Enderle hat injection I had put a brand new 168 tooth SFI flexplate on there. Before I had started car a dozen times it knocked some teeth off flexplate.

Bought a CSI 139 tooth flexplate and it is still on there.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3963 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We had a 4 inch piece of a 168 tooth J.W.The Wheel flexplate fly off making a run. We never found the missing piece and considered we were lucky no one got hurt. It had been recertified the previous year. Switched to a Meziere 139 tooth flexplate and starter.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
quote:

One less thing to worry about lol Trans fluid lol
Congrats...Gave it H***.

They all knew the orange car was there, that's for sure

Posts: 2399 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Don’t buy the chinese knock off of the Meziere billet one. A guy I know bought one and it sure looked great till most of the teeth broke off.
And then you and Jimmy had to change it,lol.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/D6591:
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Don’t buy the chinese knock off of the Meziere billet one. A guy I know bought one and it sure looked great till most of the teeth broke off.
And then you and Jimmy had to change it,lol.
Hehe we got 'er done tho.... Wink

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
A racing buddy of mine in Denver gave me a JW The Wheel. Got a recert done on it and ran it until my recent little incident with the bolts coming loose. Replaced it with another, never an issue....fixed the loose bolt thing though......loctite is your friend......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
JW the Wheel has been around forever. The Meziere on my ride has been around forever. It's probably one of the first One hundred Mezeire made.

We put a Mezeire on a car I did the trans for with twin prochargers. The Mezeire was the only flexplate that would live on the car, besides a JW the wheel.

Small tire, the JW is a little heavy though.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
Love my mark Payne ultimate big dawg and ati 139 tooth setup pushed by an XS 16volt.... 15:1 and sounds like plugs are out of it! Cool

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
A racing buddy of mine in Denver gave me a JW The Wheel. Got a recert done on it and ran it until my recent little incident with the bolts coming loose. Replaced it with another, never an issue....fixed the loose bolt thing though......loctite is your friend......

I'm glad you had better luck than me with that black rotating mass of steel.. One is cracked at the weld and the other is missing a tooth.
Now Wall art.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
i would never buy another jw the wheel!!i broke one in my dragster that went through my frame rail and body panel!after contacting them they swore that they have never seen one break! so they sent me another one and later that year i broke another one! this time it beat up another body panel and cut my shifter cable and chute cable!

Posts: 12 | Location: maryland | Registered: August 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
How recent was this?. How i found the crack was i was inspecting the crank bolt mounting area. I was looking a certain area at the weld and thinking, is that a streak of rust? Sure enough.

<DOTracer>
posted
I got away from the cheap china stamped flexplates many years ago as my equipment got better and better.

I ran an ATI flexlate for years until a couple years ago I noticed some cracks in the welds. Swapped that out for a Meziere billet at that time.

I still run the 168 tooth deal with a Powermaster 9500 starter. Engine was 16.5:1 and is now 15.5:1, on 16 volts.

Can't remember the last time I had an issue with breaking/chipping teeth. Probably been 20 years since the last one.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
pass on jw . meziere / big dawg done

Posts: 1233 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
139 tooth JW or ATI

You would have to change the starter drive too but you have a far stronger setup and even if your engine kicks back, you won’t break a tooth off the flex plate.

I had a JW and had it re-certified once. It expired again so it was 6 years old and I just put an ATI on a fresh engine.

It’s a much larger tooth design and way stronger.

The cheap flex plates no matter who’s name is on them are probably offshore made. Not very good quality.

This. We switched to the 139 tooth on our stuff, very solid. JW 139 tooth Wheel and Starter of your choice.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post