DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Flexplate Suggestions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flexplate Suggestions
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I like Mezeire billet, although we did use a Speedmaster billet 153 in the third gen Camaro, seems fine so far, and it's driven on the street A LOT. It's actually a really nice looking piece.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinChicken:
Have any of you had any experience with the Summit or Jegs SFI Flexplates? I need to get a new one for my 582 BBC and was just shopping around.

I like my TCI for the price, made in Mexico though.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
The ATI piece just got here. It's nice. I haven't weighed it yet. The TCI units are 6 pounds. This one feels heavier. I'll get it on the scale and see.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
I had an ATI flexplate for a few years. While swapping converters I discovered a couple welds had developed some fine cracks. Swapped it for a billet Meziere which has been holding up really well.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nomad:
I sent in a product review to Summit. They've declined to post it as it contains "inflammatory" language. TCI called full of apologies this morning. They want it returned.

I sometimes have to purchase import parts. I want the choice. Do or do not. In this instance I purchased the TCI part with the expectation that it was historically American made.

BTW, if you're knocking teeth off your flexplate you've got some other problems going on.

Interesting!
So what are they wanting to do, other than apologize?
I have to commend TCI for reaching out.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I just checked this morning's email. I had two from Summit.

The first was that they apologized for not posting my review. They agreed to post it and they have.

The second was a notice they had credited my CC account and to keep the defective part.

My faith in Summit and TCI has been restored.

A note here: I buy as many parts as I can from my local engine builder. That includes things like these flexplates. But lately, he is so backed up and so busy I don't want to bother him for the purchase of just one part right now.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Billet Speedmaster 153 on deck for the new 496, Powermaster 9540 starter.

Flawless so far on another 496, 10:1 compression, also 9540 starter.

The new 496 will have 11:1 compression, we'll see.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My friend Dirtdobber says you’ll be lucky to get one run out of that Speedmaster Chinese junk.

He fell for it and bought one, didn’t even make a pass as far as I know.

I would look seriously at something else, good luck on whatever you decide!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
THE main issue with SpeedMaster flexplates (and virtually anything out of the far east) is they use poor quality metals, then heat treat the hell out of it to harden it in an attempt to make it live. The problem is heat treating that high on the scale makes the metal brittle.....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
This is Dave's wheel house, he knows what he is talking about.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The flexplate market is full of Chinese junk! If you want or need the best you buy ATI or Meziere.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
This is Dave's wheel house, he knows what he is talking about.

Bob

Yeah, I had hands on every brand out there over the years lol,,,,,,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: imakehp,

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I installed the ATI piece a couple of days ago. It's really a nice piece.

It's a stamping so as usual I knocked all the sharp edges off of it. As I use AN7-15 bolts for the converter/flexplate interface the bolt holes required slight clearancing. The ring gear was a bit close to the starter pinion so I had to use a .050" spacer between the crank and flexplate. Starter pinion lash was good as is. It's a bit thicker than the TCT units so it weighs 12 ounces more.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just checked this morning's email. I had two from Summit.

The first was that they apologized for not posting my review. They agreed to post it and they have.

The second was a notice they had credited my CC account and to keep the defective part.

My faith in Summit and TCI has been restored.

A note here: I buy as many parts as I can from my local engine builder. That includes things like these flexplates. But lately, he is so backed up and so busy I don't want to bother him for the purchase of just one part right now.

I dunno, that's nice and all, but what about just selling a part that is top quality??

I don't see where they addressed the real problem. (crappy part)

Refunding to those who complain doesn't fix a stockpile of crappy parts.

I'm disappointed, and will be examining my TCI unit next time I have a chance. Frown

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Summit and Jegs sells the Chinese junk because it has higher margins and their customers are largely the Walmart crowd too.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Ed’s a Target man

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12287 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have any of you had any experience with the Summit or Jegs SFI Flexplates? I need to get a new one for my 582 BBC and was just shopping around.

I used the Summit one after years of CSI plates. No issues. Pretty sure Pioneer made them at the time.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Boninfante makes a really nice billet flexplate. Had one here, looked as nice or nicer than the Meziere.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
quote:

I used the Summit one after years of CSI plates. No issues. Pretty sure Pioneer made them at the time.

I'm pretty sure Pioneer makes all the stamped flexplates. It appears they've moved their production to Mexico from the USA.

I know it'll never happen but, it sure would be nice to have the suppliers indicate which parts are offshore and which aren't. Yeah, like that's going to happen.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm pretty sure Pioneer makes all the stamped flexplates. It appears they've moved their production to Mexico from the USA.

I'm pretty sure all the welded on ring gears are made for Pioneer overseas and the consistence from batch to batch is worse than the lights I have been cutting lately. Yes they are BAD! Really Bad!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1leg,

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 240 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post