DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Flexplate Suggestions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flexplate Suggestions
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Have any of you had any experience with the Summit or Jegs SFI Flexplates? I need to get a new one for my 582 BBC and was just shopping around.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using the TCI flex plate with no issues on our stuff. About $80.

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bubbletop409
posted Hide Post
Love the Mezeiere billet wheel in my Sunset 565

Larry
62 Bel-Air 409
79 Cole TR-2 SunsetRaceCraft 565 RIP TRACY
260 Eliminator Eagle XP HP500EFI
NO MO BOMA
WELL DONE USN SEAL TEAM 6
Proud Deplorable

Posts: 60 | Location: Castro Valley, CA State of Insanity | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
I’ve been using the TCI flex plate with no issues on our stuff. About $80.

Got a part number?

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
TCI-399273 (Internal/168) is what i use. Just recheck to be sure.
2PC seal.

Make sure you put a small taper on the flange bolt holes when using ARP bolts. The have a tiny taper on the underside of the bolt. So the head sits flush on the plate. JMO.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Meziere in mine, broke the TCI at Tucson last year.

Bob

Posts: 3063 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Green1 what ATI plate you using, I see they have two ??

Posts: 188 | Location: WI 53511 | Registered: October 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
X2 ATI

Posts: 154 | Location: Carthage,TN | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
Unless you have money to waste or have a 582 on Nitrous/Blower/Turbo turning 1500 horses or more I wouldn't waste my money on the higher end Mezeiere Billet ones. Its over kill and yea you can say never look back UNTIL you break one, as happened to me (it does happen). If you run NHRA you only get 3 years out of one any way technically. We ran a TCI and BTE one for over 3 years each without any problems. Nor any transmission problems related to the extreme flexing some say will happen.

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Don’t buy the chinese knock off of the Meziere billet one. A guy I know bought one and it sure looked great till most of the teeth broke off.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5297 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Meziere

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
139 tooth JW or ATI

You would have to change the starter drive too but you have a far stronger setup and even if your engine kicks back, you won’t break a tooth off the flex plate.

I had a JW and had it re-certified once. It expired again so it was 6 years old and I just put an ATI on a fresh engine.

It’s a much larger tooth design and way stronger.

The cheap flex plates no matter who’s name is on them are probably offshore made. Not very good quality.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Couple guys already said it, one piece billet flexplate from Meziere

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
So even the $400 meziere need to be recerted every 3 years correct? I ran csr for probably too long. If they get changed out every 3 years i dont get buying an expensive one but i guess to each their own.

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
TCI-399273 (Internal/168) is what i use. Just recheck to be sure.
2PC seal.

Make sure you put a small taper on the flange bolt holes when using ARP bolts. The have a tiny taper on the underside of the bolt. So the head sits flush on the plate. JMO.

^^^^^^^^ THIS, $90 3 year throw away. Half the price of the cheapest Drivers Latch Link Belts you could buy that are only good 2 years and never wear out.

I wire brush the paint off crank mounting side and deburr bolt holes. The convertor mounting bolt holes need to be enlarged if using 7/16” bolts per the instructions.

Posts: 2435 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Just wondering when was the last time someone had an NHRA tech crawl under your car to check the date on your flexplate?

Posts: 2400 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Just wondering when was the last time someone had an NHRA tech crawl under your car to check the date on your flexplate?

I've never seen it but I did have a converter bolt pad break off one that was either 10 years old or 10 years expired.

I agree with those saying just buy the cheapies and replace every 3 years.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Sorry, no Bend pac lifts here. lol
But i can tell you this. After qualifying all the racks after we were done were not allowed to return to our pits. The gathered all of us on the return road in single file. Had to pull all the body panels off. Looking for illegal boxes/devices.. I said WTF, we having a convention? AND yes they did get one.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Flexplate stickers were looked at ONCE at an NHRA event early in the year as I recall some years ago but it's extremely unlikely anymore.

Generally they look at safety stuff and chassis stickers at division races.

NO tech at national events....except for occasional spot checks in the lanes....or none at all.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Broke an ATI last season from a backfire, proceded to put in a new TCI like we've used for many years and no issues yet again. Seems like from now on we'll just be using the less than $100 because you never know when one is going to break.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post