DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Motorhome tongue weight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorhome tongue weight
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Wondering what some of you guys are running for tongue weight. Have a 34’ diesel pusher 1,000/10,000. Have a new 30 foot spread axle trailer aprox 8,000 loaded. With the car in back which is the way I would like it I have about 1500 pounds tongue weight. Pulling the car in and putting the golf cart in front I have about 1250. Can’t seem to get it any lower. I can assume a lot of guys are running a lot more tongue weight than this? What is everybody else running with this combination? Think the 1,500 is too much?

Posts: 34 | Location: rubicn wi. | Registered: December 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
SEND IT.....I’m afraid to check mine lol....

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
Equalizer bars can help distribute some weight onto the steer tires of the tow vehicle.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a lot to me... most motorhomes don't need the tongue weight to tow well because of the wheelbase and IMO really aren't designed for what we do with them, so I try to keep mine as low as possible. Mine is about 1100lbs on the tongue and I wish I could get it a bit lower (39' coach, 32' trailer). When I moved from a dually to a MH, I moved my spare parts and hardly-used tools to one of the forward basement compartments of the coach - if you carry a lot in the trailer, that could help. The further you get from the axles, the more effect the weight has on your tongue weight.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 628 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I like tongue weight. The only thing that keeps the trailer from whipping around is the weight on the tongue....I don't mean over do it but if its to little your trailer will very likely get to swaying going down hill. I have been towing 65 years or so and have witnessed a lot of bad situations but the most memorable was trying to get stopped going down a mountain with a trailer that had all the weight in the back.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
a LOT - I'm with Whomp, I don't want to know!

Posts: 2105 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
lessons have been learned with too little tongue weight

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you want the best sway control and no weight on the rear of the coach so it remains undamaged, give us a call at Trailer Toad.
www.trailertoad.com
Jok Nicholson
319-404-7001
trailertoad1@yahoo.com

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
My trailer fully loaded is around 17,500 pounds. It has nearly 3000 pounds of trailer tongue weight, so I use Trailer Toad. I think it is now a few hundred pounds actually on the hitch. All the tongue weight is handled by the Trailer Toad.

I use one because I saw too many motor homes with cracked sidewalls from excessive trailer weight.

My motor home has the 2400 pound 15 liter Cummins, and a transmission that is 1000 pounds as well, all behind the rear wheels. When you add the tongue weight, it is 6400 pounds the frame has to deal with, over time it would eventually fatigue and allow the side walls to crack.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Don. You had the toad on the last coach when i saw you at 66 when i did the scan? Hows the Cummins holding up there?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Don. You had the toad on the last coach when i saw you at 66 when i did the scan? Hows the Cummins holding up there?

It is much better than the 500 HP one. We removed the EGR and a few other things when I bought it, then turned the power up from 650 to around 800. I have a customer who works at Allison and unfortunately he said to turn it back down to no more than 2100 ft lbs of torque. So it is back down to 720 or so.

It now has nearly 100k on it.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post