DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    1999 ford ranger trans fluid?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1999 ford ranger trans fluid?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of fast frank
posted
Automatic, what type, can you use type F, 120,000 miles starting to slip a little when starting out, only when cold. Going to try filter and fluid. Thanks

Posts: 728 | Location: pa. | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Dextron/Mercon

Posts: 607 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
If you replace neglected fluid once it starts to slip, the trans will get way worse. If you are trying to get away with it as long as possible, you are better off leaving it alone.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of silver bullet
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Listen to that guy.
Do not change it now...it will certainly go ahead and die. The time to change your oil is not after the engine starts knocking.

Posts: 124 | Location: mississippi | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Instead of changing it I would try some Lucas Additive. Good luck!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in the theory on why a new filter and fluid would cause a problem.

Posts: 1456 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The trans already has an issue. New fluid is very detergent , in most cases it will worsen the problem.
Like changing your engine oil after the motor is knocking.

Oil changes and trans fluid and filter changes are maintenance , not a fix.

Posts: 212 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Not sure why (but I do remember hearing it had to do with the detergents in the fresh fluid) but its definitely true. I managed an auto parts store for years, I've seen it happen probably a dozen times.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of fast frank
posted Hide Post
Not mine, my neighbor just got it. A older transmission guy years ago told me a old transmission with old fluid has grit in the fluid,that kept the car moving. Take it out put fresh fluid in, then it won`t move. that's why I thought about type F fluid. But anyway we already changed it and used mercon fluid and it seems ok so far. not a lot of junk in the pan, maybe just a dirty filter ,I guess time will tell

Posts: 728 | Location: pa. | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
New fluid would have increased lubricity over old thus aggravate slipping. I'm not so sure trans fluid has detergent. Detergent is used primarily to suspend combustion contamination with HDEO a lot more than passenger. You don't use detergent motor oil in an air compressor why would you use detergent in a transmission?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
My brothers Cavalier is pushing 300K Never had trans fuid changed. He finally changed the 4 spark plugs around 260K Lucky if it gets the oil changed 7-10K miles. Laughing Hard

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post