DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Durable Roll Cage Paint
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Durable Roll Cage Paint
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
So I have a car that needs some painting done on the roll cage. It is an older powder coat and shows some wear. instead of stripping the entire car I was told that you can scuff the powder coat down and just paint it. is there any paint that is extremely durable and will work well?

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
A foam roller or foam brush and some One Shot sign paint will make it look new again.

I have also use some acrylic enamel with a splash of hardener and reducer for flow.

Posts: 910 | Location: The problem with your gene pool is that there's no lifeguard... | Registered: April 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If you don't get any direct recommendations you like, "Eastwood" will likely have a quality product right for you.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2324 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Catalyzed polyurethane like Imron or Awlgrip, with a little lacquer thinner added to make it bite the powder. Spray with a small touch up gun.
We used Imron as the touch up for powder in the powder shop years ago

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
I have used Eastwood color then put Eastwood clear over that and it looks very nice. I also go to a tint place and get them to cut me some clear bra material in 2.25 inch strips and put it on the back of the cage where rocks and stuff will hit it from the burn out. It keeps it very nice for a long time and you can’t even see it is on there.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
I had to do the same deal not too long ago. I used Rustoleum appliance paint in the spray cans. In the past I have used VHT epoxy paint that held up really well especially on the door bars. I also see people getting strips of 3m vinyl mostly in the fiber carbon look to cover areas that get a lot of wear.

Save on Fuel - GetUpside - https://upside.app.link/jE7eqmHc2z

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of rallye bob
posted Hide Post
Por15 and a foam brush....

Posts: 22 | Location: usa | Registered: December 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

<DOTracer>
posted
VHT chassis epoxy paint holds up really well for a spray can paint.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post