DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Header recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Header recommendations
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Looking for recommendation on a new set of headers. I have a mild BBC 468 on a hardtail dragster and was looking at a few different options(dynatech and Fab-shop). But was thinking there may be more options. I'm kinda rough on them doing burnouts,still shake it pretty hard sometimes so the sturdier the better lol.

Jason Compton

Posts: 34 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Not trying to hijack or derail your thread, but I think any benefit of one header over the other is going to be completely dependent on your individual combination but more importantly you should make whatever changes you need to get the tire shake out of your normal routine. That is some destructive stuff on rears, trans, chassis and just about everything else.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have 10 years on a set of Dynatechs.
The way they are gapped between cylinders and not welded at the collectors gives them the movement needed to flex.
We had them on a hardtail for 3 years when new, they took a beating.
We had a set of Borlas that were welded 100% before that, could not keep them from cracking at the flange.

The Dynatechs have been good for us.
BD104X has offered great advice, learn how to calm the burnout.
We broke a lot of stuff over the years in the hardtail, most from the burnout.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who has seen fabshop headers crack and break fairly often? Never ran them so my opinion on them is only from seeing others post pictures of their broken headers

Always ran dynatechs with no problem... if i was going to try a different brand it may be Stainless Works or Kooks... dont forget to get some tethers

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I have worked on getting the tire shake out,and gotten much better. Just taking some time and a lot of practice.
I have Dynatechs on it now and I like them. But they are old and a little too large for this motor. Plus the last two races the temp dropped considerably and it went into tire shake right off the line(once in the final round) and cracked a couple of welds.

Jason Compton

Posts: 34 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Have cracked them all...have 3 sets of Dynatechs now with M/T tires...no cracks...going on 3 years...

Posts: 1752 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Tire shake will destroy a lot of things.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I love my Performance Welding stainless headers. 12 seasons now, no cracks. Not sure he's still building them? Cool JB

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Never cracked my dynatechs or my fab shops. have been running fab shops for 5 years in a 4.50 car.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 706 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I use 16 ga tubing off the head then go to 18 ga seems to help the cracking at the flange. Tire shake kills a lot of things beside headers. Had a dragster once that had tire shake changed tire brands and it went away. Give me a call and we can discuss your header needs. thanks

Posts: 12 | Location: Kodak, Tn. | Registered: March 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Compton:
Looking for recommendation on a new set of headers. I have a mild BBC 468 on a hardtail dragster and was looking at a few different options(dynatech and Fab-shop). But was thinking there may be more options. I'm kinda rough on them doing burnouts,still shake it pretty hard sometimes so the sturdier the better lol.

Tire shake is easy to fix, switch to MT tires!

Posts: 2154 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have nothing but good things to say about pro-fab in concord nc. The guys there are great, had a set of stainless headers in stock for my dragster, and were awesome to deal with. VERY quality product, amazing welds and overall great quality....

Posts: 63 | Location: youngstown, oh | Registered: February 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Honestly in today's world of performance dragster headers, it's really all in the matter of what look you want.. My one buddy tried 3 different headers back to back to back one night, all ran within 1 hundredth I believe or 1.5. this was anywhere from 2-1/4 straight stainless fabshops to stepped 2-1/4 to 2-3/8 mild steel dynatechs and kooks stainless. as far as size, call the company you like the most and ask what they suggest.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of W.A.O. 111
posted Hide Post
Get off the gas before the tires bite and maybe it wont shake all your shyt up . .

photo wao-painting-logo-1_zpse0a5ba9f.jpg

Posts: 338 | Location: chiefland fl. | Registered: March 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
Hedman also has a nice dragster header. Theirs has a slight outward bend to end of collector, that if you(in an ugly event) had fluids coming out, they will pass outside your tires and not under. Nice quality stuff too.
Call Phillip- 770-664-8880

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
468 Chevy BBC?

I'd want a 1 7/8" stepped to 2", then stepped 2 1/8" with a 3" choke on the merge collector with a 3 1/2" exit.

Stainless custom built down headers.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If this is for a dragster I can do them for you.

Posts: 12 | Location: Kodak, Tn. | Registered: March 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Buck2248
posted Hide Post
Kooks makes a nice header as does Stainless Works. dynatech, hooker, hedman, Fab Shop.

Mike Buchwald

Posts: 538 | Location: Caledonia, Mississippi | Registered: January 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post