DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    oil leaking around head gaskets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

oil leaking around head gaskets
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
looking for suggestions. First fire up on new engine thing runs great but have oil leaks on all 4 corners, it appears to be between the head and block. Brand new SHP Dart block. 18 degree Brodix heads ( just freshend) new Cometic head gaskets? planning on retorqueing the heads when it cools down. just looking for ideas why is it leaking there?

Posts: 13 | Location: papillion NE | Registered: January 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
You may have new head gaskets, but that doesn't mean it's correct for your block/head combo.

I'm doubtful that retorqing head bolts will pay any dividend..... but it might.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2332 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy5602:
looking for suggestions. First fire up on new engine thing runs great but have oil leaks on all 4 corners, it appears to be between the head and block. Brand new SHP Dart block. 18 degree Brodix heads ( just freshend) new Cometic head gaskets? planning on retorqueing the heads when it cools down. just looking for ideas why is it leaking there?

If the leak isn't the end rails and you've confirmed the leak between the block and head, pull the heads and prep the head gaskets spray with aerosol sealant, with attention at the drain back holes.

Put it back together fire it, let it get hot. Re-torque next day.

Some will tell you new gaskets but if you haven't re-torqued them it'll be fine, or buy new gaskets if you're scared.

If were me I'd re-use em even if I did re-torque em. Some will say that won't work too but some will say a lot of things and their sbc don't make nowhere near the power as mine, plus I'm a tight-azz, not scared.

Seal them things up,let us know if we can help futher, put some new head gaskets on if you want.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Prep between layers - drain backs

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Having same issue with my Hemi stuff oil leaks around return hole areas. Figure to do as Mike says and have to pull heads anyway for another issue I want to address. Just hard to figure why oil is there even when engine has been sitting week or so and wiped earlier. I know shyt happens.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4180 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Oil seeps between the layers of mls gaskets. Especially BBC's I did get it almost stopped by cutting off even with the deck the part of the gasket that goes up the china wall and using silicone. Also sometimes this is caused by too coarse of a deck finish for mls.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Where is Andy?

Hopefully he'll figure to pull the layers apart to prep with spray sealant > drain holes.

Where we at on this Andy?

No nitrous I prefer Fel-Pro marine gasket.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Just got back to the shop tonight. Pulled the intake and it appears right where the head gasket meets the intake we had a couple of pinholes. the leak at the rear appears to be the valve cover gasket. pulling the heads anyway and gonna spray seal just for safety. Thanks everyone for suggestions.

Posts: 13 | Location: papillion NE | Registered: January 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy5602:
Just got back to the shop tonight. Pulled the intake and it appears right where the head gasket meets the intake we had a couple of pinholes. the leak at the rear appears to be the valve cover gasket. pulling the heads anyway and gonna spray seal just for safety. Thanks everyone for suggestions.

You bet, Keep us posted.