DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    New MW CV dragster driveshafts now available
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New MW CV dragster driveshafts now available
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
That's an "oh ****" moment for sure....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
And as far a cycles on an aluminum shaft I would think running in SC would be worse than top dragster because of coming of stop is almost like launching again

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I have never seen an MW AL driveshaft fail in a dragster. I have seen what happens to one when the u joint fails though. Happened twice last year, one went POW and we caught the other one just in time, both had the same issue, rear u joint failure due to lack of lubricate which ate the needles and the joint up until too much clearance developed. Both of these used MW rear yoke caps, not u bolts. No idea why the lube dried up or if there was any to start with. One was just over a year old and not sure of the other.

BTW, MW does not recommend AL shafts for dragsters, too short! But they do build them. Also I have seen other AL DS's brands fail.

The CV deal looks nice but certainly not required for any dragster running 7.00's and slower in the 1/4. 6.50 to 7.00 they are a nice to have IMO but if you change the joints on a regular basis, I'd say 95% plus of the time a good DS will do the trick. Quicker than 6.50, time to look a more than just the DS!

Another cheaper option, Dan Page Race Cars fabricates a mini DS tube that bolts to the trans and the chassis, similar to Top Sportsman requirements. This will contain and limit the damage a failed DS or u joint causes in a dragster.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Truth and Facts right there^^^

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I wonder exactly how much performance advantage the aluminum actually gives in a very short shaft like this. I understand the ends are part of the equation as well. Just curious.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6354 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
a hundred, maybe 2 at best. Was worth .04 in my Chevelle with a nearly 60" long driveshaft going from the stock OEM steel shaft.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I wonder exactly how much performance advantage the aluminum actually gives in a very short shaft like this. I understand the ends are part of the equation as well. Just curious.

None you would ever be able to measure. When it comes to weight, in general the less power you have the more likely you will see some gains and you need to look at everything weight wise if your gonna play that game. A few pounds here or there will likely make zero difference. Case in point, on a 7.40 dragster, same tires, with and without bead locks, no difference in et or speed, same day test.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

Not enough to go with an aluminum shaft.....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
As stated earlier I saw no difference between a 4lb aluminum and 11lb CM driveshaft after my aluminum one let go. It was two weeks between races when I made the change and car ran right where it should based on weather station and tons of records of running at the same track.
David

Posts: 134 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
it about the sum of the parts, not one single part. Both my cars have aluminum spools too.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by diceman1530:
Anyone running Top Dragster should be running this style strap.

https://www.markwilliams.com/u-joints-bolts-caps.html

Thats what I had when mine broke

Posts: 155 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by topd1332:
quote:
Originally posted by diceman1530:
Anyone running Top Dragster should be running this style strap.

https://www.markwilliams.com/u-joints-bolts-caps.html

Thats what I had when mine broke

What broke, the DS, strap or U-Joint? I have the standard MW U bolts on mine. I replaced both U joints and U bolts when I started TD about 100 runs ago. CM steel DS

Posts: 2400 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
i ran a carbon shaft on my 4.70 dragster for almost a season before it broke. it was 3 lbs lighter than my aluminum one. on the day it broke i luckily had the aluminum one in the trailer. it broke at the hit, obliviously, towed car back, changed it and managed to get back in line for the same round of time runs lol. i saw zero change in et!

Posts: 102 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
So other than the car seems to accelerate smoother and it's possibly safer, do you feel it is worth the $ as a replacement to a good, traditional u joint driveshaft?

without a doubt yes. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one I had a new car. Brett now has a all black one I just saw, looks great.

JR an all black one you say? Hmm I wonder who’s that one may be?

I love mine and would buy another one from Bret Goethe in a heart beat. Got mine quick even with him going above and beyond to customize it and coat it all black. Now with that being said MW makes fine products as well all of my cars have had MW products on them and the drive shaft that I replaced was a MW drive shaft. I did this off of pure safety in mind. But to each is own and everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what brand or type is better .

Posts: 2 | Location: Somewhere in Texas  | Registered: June 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post