DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    New MW CV dragster driveshafts now available
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New MW CV dragster driveshafts now available
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Kelley:
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
Looks a lot like my Goethe

How long have you had it JR? Anny issues with the boots?

Did you put the special pinion support on your spare center ?

Did you and your Dad both do it?

3 years , all I’d did was put it in, not sure what the special pinion support is, I just changed the pinion flange on both of my centers and bolted it in. I sent it in once and it was perfect.

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
J.R. did you gain MPH?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I don’t really know that Ed, rarely make it thru the traps w/o lol... I did it over the winter as well. I did notice it being smoother tho

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So other than the car seems to accelerate smoother and it's possibly safer, do you feel it is worth the $ as a replacement to a good, traditional u joint driveshaft?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
J.R, Isnt the Goethe a carbon fiber shaft? This one is 300M steel

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
J.R, Isnt the Goethe a carbon fiber shaft? This one is 300M steel

No not carbon at all. Solid steel shaft....

J.R. Baxter

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass: I did notice it being smoother tho

That's because of the constant velocity joints.

When that driveshaft is spinning 7000+RPM the small velocity changes of the U-joint shaft are magnified. The velocity changes twice with every revolution, at 7000 RPM that's 233 times per second.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Top, if the driveshaft angle is 0 then there is no accel-decel, any angle changes that. But if properly set up there shouldn't be much (if any) angle. When a suspended dragster leaves and the shocks change length it will always cause angle change, having such a short driveshaft in a dragster is where the problem lies.

When the angle of the output shaft is parallel to the yoke at the rear these is no variation in rotational speed between the two, so between the rear setup along with data on rear end movement you can really minimize this issue. And ya, short DS make it worse.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idk3BVDVHq4
The angles are excessive, but it gets the point across.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Top, if the driveshaft angle is 0 then there is no accel-decel, any angle changes that. But if properly set up there shouldn't be much (if any) angle. When a suspended dragster leaves and the shocks change length it will always cause angle change, having such a short driveshaft in a dragster is where the problem lies.

When the angle of the output shaft is parallel to the yoke at the rear these is no variation in rotational speed between the two, so between the rear setup along with data on rear end movement you can really minimize this issue. And ya, short DS make it worse.

Agree 100%

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
Goethe use to work at MW. I'm sure they did a deal.
winner winner

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
On a suspended car as the suspension moves the yoke one the transmission slides in and out some.

Does this Mark Williams unit able to handle some in and out travel like the yoke does?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Yes

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
So other than the car seems to accelerate smoother and it's possibly safer, do you feel it is worth the $ as a replacement to a good, traditional u joint driveshaft?

without a doubt yes. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one I had a new car. Brett now has a all black one I just saw, looks great.

J.R. Baxter

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad News:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idk3BVDVHq4
The angles are excessive, but it gets the point across.

They talk in a little different terms than we normally use. But the video clearly shows that when the pinion angle is the same between the two....or 0 pinion, that the velocity of the output is constant regardless of operating angle.

A four link does well at maintaining pinion angle even when the shaft is short, and even though the operating angle changes. So if what we are looking for is constant output velocity, don't we already pretty much have that?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess I was responding to you Bender. I always call it pinion angle, and operating angle. Operating angle I call the difference between the output and the shaft itself. This does change in a dragster. But the term is a little different than what they show in the video. The other term for me is pinion angle, and that is the difference between output and inputs....no reference to the shaft at all. The pinion angle should not change in a 4 link setup, and thus there should be no speed up/slow down. Am I thinking correctly? There may be other advantages to the CV setup. But I don't see the velocity as one that needs fixin.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Showtime296
posted Hide Post
I just got mine from Brett Goeth took just over two weeks just like he told me on the phone and also kept me up to date on the progress of my shaft. Bolted in with no problems. I’ll let you know if there is any difference next week but like Chris I did it for safety. Brett is a good guy it’s not his day job.....And he builds an awesome product

Performance Glass
Meziere
Chassis Engineering
FTI converters

Posts: 258 | Location: Eattin' a Sammich | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I had a very similar experience...good guy IMO

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Showtime296
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
I had a very similar experience...good guy IMO

Yeah but yer a trouble maker, at least that’s the way I remember it

Performance Glass
Meziere
Chassis Engineering
FTI converters

Posts: 258 | Location: Eattin' a Sammich | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Chit man, I never been booted off of a website...

Full Moon
Tip PC
Didn't think of that

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post