New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacuum Pump
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
About to pull the trigger on pump set up. How are you guys measuring the vacuum and is it something that needs to be done or is it a kind of “set it and forget it” deal?

Posts: 14 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What I mean is set it by directions and just not measure or worry with it.

Posts: 14 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Very few will pull enough vacuum to worry about. I record mine on my data logger. Once in a while go to 17 inches of vacuum for a short time. not enough to hurt anything.

You could just put a gauge on it to check it loaded against the transbrake if it is under 15 or so then you have nothing to worry about. Most do not need a relief valve and if you have one do not mount it on the motor, mount it on the pump or inline with the pump so if it does open it is not pulling air (AND OIL) through the motor.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I didn't measure mine for a long time...Now I have it hooked up to log through my Grid. On mine I just cranked the adjustment down to pull max vacuum and let it go.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the information!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I’d recommend a gauge. Mine was pulling a lot of oil out until I turned it down. My Star pump has a regulator on the pump itself.

Most people seem to like the gauge port in the valve cover, but I put mine in the fuel pump block off plate. Works great and I never need to mess with it unless the engine comes out.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
I’d recommend a gauge. Mine was pulling a lot of oil out until I turned it down. My Star pump has a regulator on the pump itself.

Most people seem to like the gauge port in the valve cover, but I put mine in the fuel pump block off plate. Works great and I never need to mess with it unless the engine comes out.

If you are pulling lots of oil through the system you most likely have a leak allowing air to go through motor pulling oil with it. On a good tight sealed up motor you will not get much of anything and you can run more vacuum.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:

If you are pulling lots of oil through the system you most likely have a leak allowing air to go through motor pulling oil with it. On a good tight sealed up motor you will not get much of anything and you can run more vacuum.

It pulls almost no oil in the 1/8 mile, but if running 1/4 mile I need to empty the can every run. Kind of odd.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It pulls almost no oil in the 1/8 mile, but if running 1/4 mile I need to empty the can every run. Kind of odd.

Sounds like you hve two issues, too much oil upstaits and no baffling!

Posts: 2156 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sounds like you hve two issues, too much oil upstaits and no baffling!

It’s a baffled fitting and I’ve tried clocking the inlet holes every which way. Standard location in the front face of the odd bank cover. I’d like to experiment with inlet locations but don’t want to cut up my nice chrome covers.

Too much oil; I can believe that.

Tony Leonard

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think you need to find out how much vacuum you are pulling.
If you have a leak it will draw in air and pull oil with it. You may have 3 inches of vacuum or some low number. Seal it up and it pull much more like 14.

They can leak air in many places, Distributor, intake, valve covers, oil pan, vacuum relief valve, (which most do not need)timing cover or fuel pump block off plate.

My dyno guy has a very nice electric vacuum pump he is able to hook up to the motor and pull a vacuum. We found leaks around the distributor and timing cover. Did not leak oil out but it leaked air in.

Yes, I guess it could be a baffling issue and location of the hose. It could be a drain back issue into the pan, if that is the case you may be close to running out of oil at full throttle.
A data logger would answer many of those questions.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you need to find out how much vacuum you are pulling.
If you have a leak it will draw in air and pull oil with it. You may have 3 inches of vacuum or some low number. Seal it up and it pull much more like 14.

They can leak air in many places, Distributor, intake, valve covers, oil pan, vacuum relief valve, (which most do not need)timing cover or fuel pump block off plate.

My dyno guy has a very nice electric vacuum pump he is able to hook up to the motor and pull a vacuum. We found leaks around the distributor and timing cover. Did not leak oil out but it leaked air in.

Yes, I guess it could be a baffling issue and location of the hose. It could be a drain back issue into the pan, if that is the case you may be close to running out of oil at full throttle.
A data logger would answer many of those questions.

What your saying can be true however you need a big leak to get enough air flow through the motor to actually such that much oil out. His issue is too much oil upstairs. It's OK in the 1/8 because there's not enough time to build up but in the 1/4 it does and when the brakes are applied all the oil runs forward and floods that area where the suction line is located. Also less braking is needed running 1/8.

Posts: 2156 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
If that is the case then he could be close to running out of oil under full Throttle and that could get ugly quick.

I know some builders did not like the oil draining down over the Cam or the Crank because of Windage but that could create a bigger problem of not getting oil back to the pan quick enough.
For me that is one of those things I do not care, I am bracket racing and will not kill me to lose 8 Horsepower or what ever it is. Much rather have the oil where I need it when I need it.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Does anyone make a vacuum gauge that will record and hold the highest reading? My data recording system does not have a feature that records the vacuum reading.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
https://www.autometer.com/blow...JvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This will work on a vacuum gauge also

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I just ran into this problem. I moved the fitting to the top of the valve cover and it stopped. I believe most of the oil was coming out when I hit the brakes on the big end.

The other problem it caused was the vanes getting stuck in the pump. I think it was because the oil getting in them and making them sticky. The vacuum would just come and go. Sprayed it out with carb cleaner few times and it started pulling consistent vacuum after that.

Posts: 114 | Location: ky | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
I spray my pump out with carb cleaner ever so often, start it and then hit it with a few shots of WD-40 or similar. Haven't had any additional issues with it.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend a GZ Motorsports pump. It is noted that pulling too much vacuum pulls the mist away from the wrist pins of the pistons.
12"-15". GZ has solutions for baffles, etc.
And, they are maintenance free. A rebuild every 3-4 years for $100 and good2go again.

Posts: 124 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
I use a simple autometer vacuum gauge ported off the valve cover GZ baffle.

Posts: 124 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
At the start of every race weekend, I disconnect the vac suction hose from the valve cover and fog brake cleaner into it for 5-10 seconds with the engine running. Just tapping the hose end on my palm, there’s a notable difference before and after the brake cleaner.

It makes a difference on the vac gauge at idle but vacuum during the pass is the same unless I let it go a really long time between cleanings.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lenny5160,

Tony Leonard