DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    At what point do you NEED Bead Lock Wheels
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At what point do you NEED Bead Lock Wheels
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
At what point did your car start spinning the wheel inside the tire?

What weight and ET/HP combination?

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No bracket racer NEEDS bead locks nor are they required per the NHRA 2022 Rulebook and we’ve been 7.15 @ 185 without rim screws no mind bead locks.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
No bracket racer NEEDS bead locks nor are they required per the NHRA 2022 Rulebook and we’ve been 7.15 @ 185 without rim screws no mind bead locks.

I agree with that for a dragster. What are your thoughts on the same speed in a door car? Would having to get the weight moving make a difference? Say 2650 LBS tube chassis car.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
At what point did your car start spinning the wheel inside the tire?

What weight and ET/HP combination?

You need bead locks when you run a tire that requires them or when the rules say you do. Other than that it's your choice to run them when not required. Or you can listen to everyone's opinion to tell you when you need them!

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bubba's = beadlocks. Otherwise it's a judgement thing IMO.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6379 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
What are your thoughts on the same speed in a door car? Would having to get the weight moving make a difference? Say 2650 LBS tube chassis car.

Nothing to do with weight and the NHRA already answered that back in the 2004 Rulebook IIRC, specifically in the Pro Stock section. I believe 200MPH was/is the trigger.

That said, I've moved 3880 lbs 60 feet in 1.28 seconds on 10" tires and 3144 lbs. 60 feet in 1.17 seconds on 14" tires without beadlocks or rim screws.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
As soon as at least 1/2 of your racing buddies purchase them then it is recommended you do as well or you risk not fitting in.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
I'm on the train of not needing them unless rules state otherwise.. But at the same time, I like having them because it makes changing your own tires a breeze, plus you can buy a cheap bubble balancer and call it a day there. And in all honesty, no matter the speed, beadlocks do provide a bit a safety even in a 100 mph 6 second bracket car, typically beadlocks don't fail

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
As soon as at least 1/2 of your racing buddies purchase them then it is recommended you do as well or you risk not fitting in.

This ^^^

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have DBL purely for the convenience of changing tires and balancing myself not having to use an installer. The local Tires Plus recycles the old slicks for $3 each.

The tire sidewall was noticeably stiffer when driving in the pits first time after install and I use stiff wall tires on a door car.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The tire sidewall was NOT noticeably stiffer when driving in the pits

"But I imagined it was" LOL

Get ready for a shytstorm.....LOL

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
What's with whole "balance yourself" reasoning? I realize beadlocks make changing tires easier, but I have been mounting my own tires by hand AND bubble balancing them without beadlocks for years...

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Nothing easier about changing tires with bead locks, especially with Deltas

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Changing tires is so easy it's silly on std rims

The only hard part iof breaking the bead and using your trailers power jack makes that simple

Jack trailer up and put jackstands under frame

Go high enough to get tire under jack bottom plate

Power down at bead and push tire off rim in a couple spots....Usually easy to get loose

Tire comes off with a big screwdriver or by hand

Goes on rim just as easy

Blow up with some starting fluid if needed.....

Once you learn how to do it easy. Easier with 2 people

Balance it on a bubble or a spin balancer

I sold all my stuff so I will not be doing it again anytime soon though....

Paul Schulz gets credit for the trailer jack technique.....

My tires never moved without screws......16" Weld rims with Goodyears or Hoosiers

I added screws but but there was really no reason to....

Beadlocks came about as Ed said...

Pro Stock going over 200 and they were worried the tires could de-bead from centrifugal force distorting the tire

Narrow tread tires on wide rims.....only reason to have beadlocks

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Rich, sorry to hear you’ve hung up your helmet.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Rich, sorry to hear you’ve hung up your helmet.

It was inevitable....To many negatives.
I could still do it for sure may days but no way I felt I was up for the grind...
It's very painful to put it mildly....
I Put stuff for sale and it went ballistic in hours....Priced it reasonable for what it all was.

I might get behind the wheel of something else down the road......slower door car maybe....

My health is fine and my recovery has been nothing short of amazing considering where I was a few months ago.....

Time waits for no one...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Well good to hear you have recovered and feeling better.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's with whole "balance yourself" reasoning? I realize beadlocks make changing tires easier, but I have been mounting my own tires by hand AND bubble balancing them without beadlocks for years...

I’ve been racing the same door car a relatively short period of time (2007 start) and at age 70 I work smarter and set myself up for success in what needs to be done on it. My all aluminum enclosed trailer has a hand crank tong lift that easily removes the trailer from hitch, but would be useless in trying to break beads even with an electric lift. I don’t need or have a 12v battery in my trailer. My winch is 120 vac. I purchased a balancer just prior to having the DBL installed in 2019 by N&P. Prior to that a tire installer did the spin balance.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i am going to be honest here.

i say beadlocks because they are cool. i am putting bealocks on my new ride whether i need them or not because i think they are cool.

ep-bought mine used cheaper than new regular wheels.

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
How about bead locks on the front !
Be a trend setter !

Tell everyone your car handles better especially when you weigh anchor and have front brakes