DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    At what point do you NEED Bead Lock Wheels
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At what point do you NEED Bead Lock Wheels
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
when you need another 2k plus gtax xdeduction or when you want tham and have to justify it to your wife.

I don't think any bracket car needs them.Are they easier to change? Maybe. I think having the dealer at track change them is pretty easy.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Given the fact that MT's will fall off a non bead lock wheel if you totally deflate them and there's videos of them de-mounting in a burn out on a basic bracket dragster, i'd say anytime you intend to run a "BUBBA" style MT tire, beadlocks are mandatory. I ran little bubbas on non bead locks and i guess i got lucky cause i didn't have any trouble. I didn't care for them and went back to the goodyears. I did notice them de-mount when i removed them from the car and let all the air out, they basically fell off the beads on the rim. I have never seen this happen with a goodyear.

For the other brands i'd say not necessary for "most" bracket cars. All that being said i have BL's on both cars, only positives i see are they look cool and i can change my own tires. It was always a pain in the butt to drag those big tires to someone and try to talk them into mounting and balancing.

Posts: 373 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
quote:
At what point do you NEED Bead Lock Wheels

When you're driving a rock crawler with 4 pounds of air in the tires and are getting a lot of side load that can push the bead off the rim.

If you're not running tubes, let the tire spin and rebalance as required.

If you are running tubes, a few rim screws is a lot cheaper and easier than bead locks.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
How about bead locks on the front !
Be a trend setter !

Tell everyone your car handles better especially when you weigh anchor and have front brakes

Wait -wait Rich.. Remember Fuel car front tires flying off in the lights???
I believe you will be the first to know if you need a BL.
Every tire I’ve had on my stocker rotates about 1/4 inch every two runs. It’s not advised to run screws in a radial. Both Centerlines and Bogarts.
I’ve tried all the glue tricks.
Beads are quite a bit heavier in rotation. I actually don’t remember how much we lost switching to beads on the TS car. I do remember setting up different.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
you need to learn how to properly mount your radial slicks that I have run for 20 years, sizes 30 x 9, 30 x 10.5 and 32 x 13.5 without any glue and they don't move after a few hits if at all.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
My car isn't a rocket ship by any means no screws no glue installing new tires. First hit they move 1/8 of an inch and that's it. And when its time to change tiresbreaking the bead is a tough. Takes a good machine to do it.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Although I don't need them, I did find that 16" by 16" beadlocks on my 4.90 door car more than doubled the sidewall life. The extra expense has paid for itself already. I put the same wheels on my 5.50 roadster because if it helps tire life great, but more so that most everything on both cars is the same so I can swap parts around on them.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
RacerVX54...KNOWS!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I think Hoosier, MT and GY know how to mount them. I don’t do my own. I’m certainly not the only one moving the tires on a heavy car with torque and a small tire.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
They obviously don’t and of course you’re not alone, rather amongst the clueless when it comes to mounting tires that aren’t screwed to the rim

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^Says the Ultimate Loser, that's scared to compete in the Big Show! Razz^^^^^

Go back to high school drama queen.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Says the broke dyck, clueless nobody whose pile of shyt ain’t been on the track in 2 years and who ordered his 30 year dream trailer but didn’t have the coin to pay for it when it arrived! Fucing Loser B KING

That’s right fag, your Internet forum boyfriend admits he doesn’t have a clue as to how to mount tires on the rim so they don’t move.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Stop being scared! I was on the track last year; did pretty good!

ED........

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
^^^^^Says the Ultimate Loser, that's scared to compete in the Big Show! Razz^^^^^

Go back to high school drama queen.

No biggie Bri! Ed is on it! Have no fear, Ed is here! He’s trying to fit in, wants to be one of the guys. He’s lonely. Keep trying pal.

Probably 5k or more racers who have the race tires done at the track with no issues. I’m sure the MFG’s would love to hear; they don’t know what they doing.

Raceless in California!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Jesus Ed. You high dude ? Coming down or what? I never said I didn’t know how to mount my rims, I said I tried it all. As long as they don’t move an inch or more I’m ok with it.

Raceless in California!

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I went to beadlocks on my dragster when I replaced the old wheels. They started leaking and I couldn't get them to stop. I figured since I was getting new wheels, might as well, and the ease of being able to do my tires myself was a bonus.....added a bubble balancer and all is well. Good thing here is that when I replace my slicks, it costs me nothing to dispose of them. Bandimere takes the old ones from you and uses them on the tractor that puts fresh rubber down on the track...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
I love the look of bead lock wheel 70% of the cars do not need THEM. That said if i ever buy them it will be for looks and ease if tire changing.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
As soon as at least 1/2 of your racing buddies purchase them then it is recommended you do as well or you risk not fitting in.

Winning post of the thread.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post