DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    PG Reverse Clutch Piston
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PG Reverse Clutch Piston
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted
I am still looking for a good replacement part but was also wondering if anyone had any input on the benefit of using a billet one? Several trans outfits carry them.

Save on Fuel - GetUpside - https://upside.app.link/jE7eqmHc2z

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
you may go faster because of your lighter wallet?

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I think most of the builders are selling them because its an easy part to make and the OEM pistons like other powerglide parts Im sure are getting harder to come by.

Stock one will be just fine as long as the piston is in good shape, not damaged, warped etc. I had a stock one that was.030 thicker on one side than the other and had pits all over it and it was in a trans that came from a name brand builder. Main thing is getting your friction clearance correct without stacking a bunch of steels in it. just my 2 cents.

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Strength is far superior going 6061 T6 billet. While your in there, do the front also. Your wallet will thank you.Xmas gift for your lonely PG.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Chasracer you can not find a rev. piston for a powerglide do you know how thick the piston needs to be let me know I can get one for you.

Posts: 120 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
In my experience and opinion, the factory pistons are completely acceptable. Consider the number of powerglides in service with an OE piston.

This company can furnish any thickness required.

https://www.tsr-racing.com/

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1829 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Also, it is completely acceptable to run the friction against the sun gear plate. Many are built that way.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1829 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sittin duck:
Chasracer you can not find a rev. piston for a powerglide do you know how thick the piston needs to be let me know I can get one for you.

PM sent

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
All of the footbrake PG's I've put together, 6 standard frictions and steels, pistons were right around .800" thickness to get it all in and still have an acceptable clearance. As I remember, some of the originals were right at .800" and I had a few of those laying around that saved me from cutting them.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post