DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    carb tech question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

carb tech question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I have a 1050 apd carb that is just very dirty and rich in the idle circuit it had a .046 air bleed mixture screws out 1.5 turns. I installed some .060 bleeds all I had close in size it has made it better mixture screws at 1 turn now. is it possible that it just has to big of a IDLE JET. it has been on 3 different motors for a 489-632 all with similar results.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Suggestions,
* if you have the build sheet, put all jetting back as it came from the builder. As a general rule, no jetting change should be needed beyond a step or two either lean or rich. The idle bleed change you made is very excessive and out of normal range.
* take it apart to clean and replace floats, needles, and seats, gaskets.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
This^^^

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
no jetting has been changed at all except the air bleed
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
Suggestions,
* if you have the build sheet, put all jetting back as it came from the builder. As a general rule, no jetting change should be needed beyond a step or two either lean or rich. The idle bleed change you made is very excessive and out of normal range.
* take it apart to clean and replace floats, needles, and seats, gaskets.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
the carb has maybe 30 min of run time on it from apd rebuilding it

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
there is an idle feed jet on the front of the body that can cause this,but be sure butterfly on both ends is not open too far pulling other fuel from intermediate.floats too high ect.if you start closeing the corner screws much less than 1 turn you will loose too much idle fuel volume

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Many problems come from dirty air bleeds they are small and clog easy. When the air bleeds are working right you will notice RPM change as you open or close the idle mixture. If not then you may have some clogged and or as Rusty says float level too high dripping fuel. Blow them out with carb cleaner and listen to make sure they are open and flowing. Also float level must be good. Make sure boosters are not dripping at idle. Or people modifying the carb.
Bad throttle cable design can ruin throttle shafts quickly. Then they will be sticky and leak causing problems. There are some expensive return cable set ups that are pure junk.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4009 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by camaro77:
I have a 1050 apd carb that is just very dirty and rich in the idle circuit it had a .046 air bleed mixture screws out 1.5 turns. I installed some .060 bleeds all I had close in size it has made it better mixture screws at 1 turn now. is it possible that it just has to big of a IDLE JET. it has been on 3 different motors for a 489-632 all with similar results.

What engine temp are you coming to these conclusions?

Does it warm-up in a reasonable amount of time with the lean-out open? If it's dirty & rich, it won't

The idle mixture screws should be set according to no stumble when it is decked on the trans-brake. I can't imagine it not stumbling with one turn outon the mixture screws.

Anytime I turn the mixture screws in or out, or change idle bleeds, the A # 1 test to run it through, is decking on the TB

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
When you start it, just open the lean-out until the temp gauge see's 170-175 degree's, then jack around with its tune. I'm 99% certain these APG carbs like to be 180 degree's on the starting line.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
mike PM sent

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
Seeing how you won the race on Saturday I would probably leave it alone. That make 2 wins in like 3 weeks. Haha, Good job Jeff

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
thanks ken

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
My buddy was having some problems with his APD carb last month. I went through it and pulled the emulsion jets out and there was trash behind them clogging the second from bottom jet completely.

You can change the air bleeds all you want, if the emulsion jets are clogged, it will not respond correctly to the changes.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post