DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster axle life span
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster axle life span
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
the MW titanium stud kit is nice and difference feels like more than numbers say. Probably me just wanting to make myself feel good when I bought them. 4 years old and holding up great,car has been sitting on them most of that time.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4180 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I pull the rear out of both cars every year and inspect the axles, gear set, and spool. This year I found this. Wonder how many runs it had left??

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Ummm, you were lucky!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
No doubt. Crazy!!!

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
I pull the rear out of both cars every year and inspect the axles, gear set, and spool. This year I found this. Wonder how many runs it had left??

Are those 35 spline? If yes what brand?

Posts: 2448 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Does anyone replace their axles as a maintenance item?

Current Strange 40 spline gun drilled axles have over 1000 runs with 1000hp bracket combo.

Now running 2000hp Top Dragster about 35 runs so far. Not showing any twist at the splines but also dont want to wait until there is a problem either

Thinking I should replace them, if I do it will be with MW Ultimate high torque lightweight axles.

Good idea or Am I wasting money?

I have a 04 Dan Page dragster, started out life running 7.70's and gradually increased performance to 6.70's. From new until 2017 it had 35 spline strange axles and from 2010 to 2016 it ran in the 6's. I checked the axles yearly and up until 2016 (end of the year) they were good but after the 16 season they were done! The short axle twisted a bunch and the long one a decent amount. I went to MW 40 spline at that time. So 1000 runs on 40 spline axles with 1000 HP is no big deal.

Upping the HP to 2000,,,, I can't say how much life you will get from them but two things for sure I can say, the short axle will twist first and tire shake is a killer. One run with tire shake can easily add up to 100 runs with out shake! So keep an eye on the short axle (index the tire stem with the other side and if that changes, the axle is twisting) and don't shake the tires and your axles along with other drive train parts will be much happier!

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

Yes 35 splines. The other axle is stamped Strange and A18. This axle is just stamped A14 (and it’s the shorter one, 14”) so I’m assuming it’s a Strange.

Al it’s interesting that you find the shorter one to be the weaker link. I would have thought the opposite. In my case the twisted axle was the shorter one, but the previous owner of my car had already changed the longer one.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

Yes 35 splines. The other axle is stamped Strange and A18. This axle is just stamped A14 (and it’s the shorter one, 14”) so I’m assuming it’s a Strange.

Al it’s interesting that you find the shorter one to be the weaker link. I would have thought the opposite. In my case the twisted axle was the shorter one, but the previous owner of my car had already changed the longer one.

I should clarify, both of my axles twisted just outside the spool but the shorter one was way worse. The shorter one has less flex torsion wise and therefore transfers more load to this portion of the axle (the longer axle softens the hit). It's the same deal with shorty PG's trans before they had better output shafts, dragsters killed output shaft much sooner than door cars did with similar power because the output shaft was much shorter.

Between the wheel flange and the splines, most axles have a tapper, larger OD at the wheel flange than at the beginning of the splines so usually axle failure is right at the spline where it intersects the spool.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I like to run mine until they break and tear up more ch1t. that way it can cost me more $ to fix it.

ep

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post