DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster axle life span
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster axle life span
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted
Does anyone replace their axles as a maintenance item?

Current Strange 40 spline gun drilled axles have over 1000 runs with 1000hp bracket combo.

Now running 2000hp Top Dragster about 35 runs so far. Not showing any twist at the splines but also dont want to wait until there is a problem either

Thinking I should replace them, if I do it will be with MW Ultimate high torque lightweight axles.

Good idea or Am I wasting money?

Posts: 2420 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat, Steve.....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not showing any twist at the splines but also dont want to wait until there is a problem either

You might have them manafluxed/zygloed if that service is available on the "dark side".

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2334 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
If you are using MW just call them and send them back (axles and center section) every few years.
They will check everything and only replace what is needed.
Been doing this for years.

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pentastarrail:
If you are using MW just call them and send them back (axles and center section) every few years.
They will check everything and only replace what is needed.
Been doing this for years.

Current axles are Strange engineering, if I get new ones they will be MW. I have already switched the brakes and center section to MW

Posts: 2420 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
I'm in the same boat, Steve.....

Like the Swamp Rat hasnt already dropped you off one of his spare floaters layin around from the sr 32 days... Not worthy

Smart money says the axles will out live the spool. You need to remember the golden rule though, race cars are *******s that do stupid shyt just to pi$$ you off. I'd change em.

If nothing else so you dont end up like this poor sob that looks to be tryin to show off drivin with his hands on the pedals...

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I'm planning to swap out my 35 spline stuff with 40 spline this spring, and replace the gears.

Car is a 2006 I've had since new, mostly going 7.60s but running Super Comp with a 632 the last two seasons.

Rear end has never been apart since we picked the car up at the chassis shop.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3153 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I was just thinking the same thing 10 year old 40 splines with a lot of runs at 1100 hp now 1900 hp...hmmm

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
I have 35 spline 5/8 studs in my nova 2975lbs now. Same axle since 2004 thinking about new ones myself.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
I was just thinking the same thing 10 year old 40 splines with a lot of runs at 1100 hp now 1900 hp...hmmm

Yours allot older than my 5 year old axles...

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
ran 40 spline for 8 years in top alcohol cars never replace axle,car maybe but not axles.LOL I doubt the 1000 hp deal hurt them any.The new combo I can wearing on them. I doubt you will have issue,key word doubt.

IMO replacing them is cheap insurance and if gives you piece of mind,thats a bonus.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Steve, mine are 9 years old, been run 1600-2500 hp the whole time. You should be OK. Mine are Moser BTW.

Considered changing to a floater, but the cost is pretty high.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Axles are relatively inexpensive as compared to what they are supporting going down the track ....replace them !

Posts: 1235 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
For most of our setups the axles are over built.
But one thing that gets forgotten about is axle bearings.
When axle bearings seize, the breakage can be just like an actual broken axle. Takes out all associated parts.

I have changed the bearings on the dragster 2 times in the last 8 years. One was actually rough upon inspection.

For less than $200, a good idea in my opinion.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Current axles are Strange Hy Tuff pro race light weight axles. Spoke with someone at Strange engineering and he said there is no set life span for any axle made. If there is no twist, no stress cracks, bearings are good then run them. He said I could have them magnafluxed but bearings would have to be removed but felt there is no need, same with just replacing them, its my money if I want too spend it.

I think I will put some new wheel studs on them to make me feel better a just put them back in and check them again mid season

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Check out MW's titanium studs and aluminum nut kit, it's not as expensive as you might think...…

https://www.markwilliams.com/41540.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: "The Bender",

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Check out MW's titanium studs and aluminum nut kit, it's not as expensive as you might think...…

Get yourself a set and let me know the results.....

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I asked the MW guys last year at PRI about these, they said no problem, pro mods are running them. No issues with life span either.
So I bought a set, ran first year at 4.70, then this past year 4.50s. no problem 2 years on them. I don't have 2500 hp tho..

Very nice piece, cant tell you how many people asked if the lug nuts were plastic lol

quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:

Get yourself a set and let me know the results.....

Posts: 102 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Emptier wallet...………….

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Emptier wallet...………….

For a few bucks more I bought all new 4130 American made rod ends for the 4 link from McAmis race cars instead. Felt it was money better spent...