DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    sure wish i had jesels
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sure wish i had jesels
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
What does comp eliminator run? Just wondering.

Jesel "Pro Stock Series"

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Don't let T & D send you this stand system (Top image). This is going back, not the hot ticket.

The system they offer which ties exhaust stands to one intake stand, is around $300 - $350 more (second image).

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Comp or any other high RPM deal is generally a single bar and steel rocker. Took us awhile to convince Jesel to make us steel rockers for the Vette due to the offset on the intakes. FWIW we broke out fair share of Jesel aluminum rockers why we went to steel. But we have a fair bit of pressure and plenty of RPM. Basically Comp stuff...

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 984 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I still can't believe this is a stand system people would actually go with.

WOW!

I took one look at it, said.... Fok no!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I built a 555 with Big Duke heads over 10-15 years ago

The owner bought T&D rockers and that is exactly how the stands were.....Individual and one bolt and they sat up to high to be held by the pads on the heads

I added dowel pins like what is in the picture

That engine never ran up to expectations but it also never hurt a thing and saw a lot of abuse...Mostly ran S/C and ran some decent MPH for back then....

I did not like the T&D stuff, rockers were so tight out of the box I sent some back...Stand height was not right either....

Jesel stuff to me was always better.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
My heads had a single shaft/bolt design and it wasn't enough to hold the rocker in place with 400LBS on the seat and 900 plus over the nose. I had a guy in the Mid west design and build me a one piece stand out of 4140 material.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
T&D is the benchmark shaft rocker assembly for bracket and throttle stop engines and I’ve been running it for 11 years/seasons on all my engines. Never broke a rocker body but nose rollers get gritty and Ive had a few fulcrums fail over the years. The steel rockers on my 648 are finishing season 2 without any kind of failure. That said I personally don’t know anyone bracket or throttle stop racing using a Jesel’s shaft rocker system. Also the Jesel sportsman series shaft rocker also with individual stands that I ran on my 522 from 2008 through 2011 was junk.

Now when the question is whose shaft rocker to use on a go fast, heads up engine, there’s one choice…JESEL and also the same lifter you should be using.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I had Jesel sportsman series on my engine since 2014....No issues whatsoever....

Yes the stand locater system is kind of hokey and tedious to install but they worked fine and held valve lash fine....

Still on the engine that was in the car when I sold it.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Locator sucked on my 522, should have thrown it in the weeds after the 1st season. Glad I switched to T&D. The straw the broke the camel’s back was when I found a nose roller had exited a rocker. Luckily the rocker tip which was now riding the retainer didn’t release the locks and I was able to find both the wheel and axle.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
I built a 555 with Big Duke heads over 10-15 years ago

The owner bought T&D rockers and that is exactly how the stands were.....Individual and one bolt and they sat up to high to be held by the pads on the heads

I added dowel pins like what is in the picture

That engine never ran up to expectations but it also never hurt a thing and saw a lot of abuse...Mostly ran S/C and ran some decent MPH for back then....

I did not like the T&D stuff, rockers were so tight out of the box I sent some back...Stand height was not right either....

Jesel stuff to me was always better.....

I believe it, problem in my case is the hole in the stand for the dowel pin, is centered on the edge of the pad (exhaust), on the ledge.

In a Mad Max scenario, I could've made it work possibly.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
Jesel`s are top notch but T&D`s have an oil feed that sends oil to the shaft where jesel`s rely on oil splash. I use T&D on allot of my builds. I do run Jesel`s on my 706.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is the T & D stand system you want, nice.

Because this is the original Big Brodie it'll require 3 of the exhaust pads trimmed on each head, I may do these by hand because of the hurricane, no access to a Bridgeport.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would also weld the exhaust pad to the main bar and use the steel certs.Otherwise if an insert pulls up it breaks the bolt holding them together and bends the main bar,often breaking the rocker fulcrum of the rocker at the oposite end.

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Michael,

THIS is the T&D stand system and rockers you want...

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:

I would also weld the exhaust pad to the main bar and use the steel certs.Otherwise if an insert pulls up it breaks the bolt holding them together and bends the main bar,often breaking the rocker fulcrum of the rocker at the oposite end.

Exactly, I broke the intake stand early on with my blower motor when #2 exh stand came loose. It was like dominoes ripping the bolts out of the head. Darin Morgan at Reher Morrison said the T&D stands flex allot , especially with a boosted engine. I set the rocker geometry, torqued the stands to the head and he welded the exh stands to the intake stand make it one stand while torqued to the head. I never had any issues since.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:

Exactly, I broke the intake stand early on with my blower motor when #2 exh stand came loose. It was like dominoes ripping the bolts out of the head. Darin Morgan at Reher Morrison said the T&D stands flex allot , especially with a boosted engine. I set the rocker geometry, torqued the stands to the head and he welded the exh stands to the intake stand make it one stand while torqued to the head. I never had any issues since.

Will do. Thank U, both ya'll for the heads up.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
My T&D stand that broke and ripped out of the head. This is why I am totally anal when it comes to my valve train

Posts: 2399 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Mantons for the win... or atleast ball adjusters and cup pushrods...

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
My T&D stand that broke and ripped out of the head. This is why I am totally anal when it comes to my valve train

Steve

You got that backwards, the bolt ripped out of the head then the stand broke! Also to many BBC conventional heads have been ported too much in the intake port - rocker stud area, which isn't very deep to start with further reducing the pullout load it can withstand.

Whether you use Jesel, T&D or any other manufacturer it's up to the builder to ensure that the longest bolts the heads can accept are used, especially on the exhaust side! Once you breaker an exhaust rocker or any part of the exhaust valve train at WOT, something on the intake side is going to break, NOS or boosted is ten times worse. The area of the intake valve is too large and with the left over cylinder pressure from no exhaust stroke, there is too much load trying to open the intake valve so the weakest part of the intake valve train is gonna break! One of the main reasons NOS and boosted combo's should run steel exhaust rockers!

I run T&D's on my BBC, the exhaust stand is not welded to the intake side, no issues. 375 on the seat, 1000 plus open.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post