DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Time to clear beams
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to clear beams
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
To the OP,

Dont know if your air or electric stop, but do keep in mind just because the timer is set at a given number doesnt mean the rpm doesnt keep going up past that number.. converter technology is so good these days... i go on the stop @ .050 and rpm keeps coming up till about .15 into the run per the datalogger and i have no problem cutting a light with numbers in the box at that setup

Kevin Scholl

Posts: 96 | Location: Eagleville, PA, USA | Registered: January 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
I was on an air on/off stop and I would go on the stop at whenever it hit the converter stall rpm which was about .6 out (I know unusually long but it worked). Could go low reds on 390 tree running 162 in super gas

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for every reply. For me reading answers and ideas cause me to think of a different way to look at things possibly something I wouldn't have thought of myself. I hate that that it turned into some bad feelings. I appreciate the answers if they apply to my situation or not. The answers might spark an idea in someone else that does things different. I now have a starting place to test with and thanks again. Take care my friends and have the best holiday season as you can in these crazy times.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Jeff, if you have a specific question you'd like for me to answer, shoot me a PM.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ed,

Are you still running an electric stop on both cars and what brand?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5302 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Vern, I am, #1 Stop

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

for purposes of this forum and this topic, I am better than you and good! Spitting

You mean your stepson right?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4456 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smokinjeff:
Thanks for every reply. For me reading answers and ideas cause me to think of a different way to look at things possibly something I wouldn't have thought of myself. I hate that that it turned into some bad feelings. I appreciate the answers if they apply to my situation or not. The answers might spark an idea in someone else that does things different. I now have a starting place to test with and thanks again. Take care my friends and have the best holiday season as you can in these crazy times.

Not your fault Jeff....it was a great piece of tech ......until the 12th post as usual

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4456 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
what part of the truth and the facts don't you like? Spitting

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I did pick up an electric stop at SDPC yesterday Ed. Had lunch with the OP Jeff. We will find out in Tucson if I can make it work.

Posts: 5302 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
good move and easy peasy

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have no answer for the OP on this. I have never tried to run a t-stop (well once, 20 years ago, but it didn't go too well)

Ed- do you an SLE and the electric stop?

-----------------------------------------------------
Also, is there a way that 183n and 1320racer can just say FU to each other and not drag this out to 20-30 posts each time? It's getting harder and harder to get the pertinent info when you have to sift thru the bs. We get it, its all in good fun, no worries. But, a simple FU will get the point across. Maybe use #FU183N #FU1320Racer this would spare the rest of us. Laughing Hard
----------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not reflect the views or opinions of any entity other than myself.

72 Nova 370 ci (Stealth Black)

Posts: 394 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I hope it's easy Ed. Kevin Bracey (Alan's brother) gave me a smoking deal on one of Tracy's billet stops. I think he felt sorry for me since he used to beat up on me in my ole roadster. Big Grin

My ex-wife and I were racing in Lubbock one time and it was 111 in the shade. Totally freaking miserable. Third round I drew Kevin and he beat me. I was probably never so glad to lose. It was just brutal over there.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Must have been but I got to tell you, I/we usually do pretty good on the hottest days when the heat and humidity is getting the best of some of our competitors cars and drivers.

As you know, Tracy’s TS was the considered to be the best for a few years before his friend John Kyle came out with the max speed carb that has now lost its shine with most that had been running it moving away from it.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Never used a throttle stop. I would like to learn a little. So I'll ask. What are the nuances between the different designs that make them more or less preferable. I have noticed a fair number of Max Speed carbs for sale. What is/are the issues/s? What makes one better than the next?

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
the short answer(s)

1. there are numerous variations of TS but generally speaking they are either air actuated or electric actuated and either plate style or inline.

Which is the right one for a given combo depends on who you ask but again, generally speaking the plate style is the one most use. As to electric or air? Again, depends of who you ask.

2. As to the Max speed carb it was all the rage when it came out with many wanting the latest thing believing all the hype, particularly that is was worth MPH. Since then many have found that they aren't as consistent as they were with their former TS as well if they are being honest will admit they never saw the MPH gain that was advertised.

DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
I run different #1 timers in the winter and spring, then I do in the heat.

During events where super low DAs are expected I use .050 #1 timer. Any higher and I go red popping the front wheels up during the early morning runs.

Events where the DA is 2500 or higher in the morning I run .120 to make sure I can get the car moving.

I used to run .000 but as I got older, apparently the car got slower Smile

Have someone video the car, and play it back in super slow motion. You will learn more in one or two videos than you will from anyone else.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post