DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Onan 7500 HDKAJ won’t start
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Onan 7500 HDKAJ won’t start
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of sully3358
posted Hide Post
This one actually only has a little over 2,000 hours. That's not many hours for being 20 yrs old. I'm guessing, like you said, it had just never been exercised regularly like it should have been. But I don't know much about them. Hoping with all the new stuff I can get several trouble-free years out of it.

Posts: 183 | Location: IL | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I had to go back and see you have a 7.5

They are a lot different than a 10 or 12- 12.5

Yours is an Inverter type generator.

The rotor is basically just magnets epoxied to a steel core.

Those magnets can come loose and that's usually why the rotor and stator are replaced. The stator is damaged by the magnet pieces.

The inverter/control section is inside a sheet metal box and very costly to replace and they do fail.

Time and weather deteriorates these parts...

The older it is the more likely that magnet failure can occur as well as the inverter/control

I recently did a 7.5 that was a 2003-2004 with about 3,000 hours.....

Second time I've seen one just start cranking over on it's own until the starter burns up in a cloud of smoke....

They do devious things.....LOL

I' waiting on UPS to bring me some parts so I can fix some machines.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post