DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Hand Brake in a Door Car with drums
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hand Brake in a Door Car with drums
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Long story short
68 camaro stock everything as far as brake set up. has 4 way around drum brakes.

How can i add a hand brake system for staging and non aggressive finish line driving.

how much we talking?

I have lost alot of motion out of my left leg.

Tee
wjoh155052@aol.com

Schooled by Scotty
http://www.scottyrichardsonsdragracingschool.com/
615-804-2487

My Home Track
New London Dragway.

www.biondoracing.com
www.racepartdepot.com

Loose Change does not smoke tires because i didn't teach him to do that.

Posts: 2159 | Location: Rustburg VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting topic and not to be taken lightly. I am interested in the ideas that post. The design/engineering needs to be safe and effective.

First thought, look at hand control add-on systems.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1832 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
One of my buddies has no use of his legs, and still races with hand controls (throttle and brake- same stuff you'd equip a normal passenger car with). And he's a helluva racer, we've paired up many times and he's always tough off the tree (button or footbrake) and even tougher at the stripe.
I drove his Camaro once last year, runnered up in S/P..used the hand controls for stripe driving a little, and it actually works pretty well. It's a pain to get everything adjusted out just right but works just fine.
Edit to add: His car has factory front discs but still has factory drums out back. However, no reason it wouldnt work as well with drums in front that I can see.

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
This is your only option without mechanically connecting the foot pedal to hand lever or converting to dual disc.....
https://secure.chassisshop.com/partdetail/412-SB-3-4/

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
so this way i can still use the foot pedal
this seems like an easy fix and will work

Tee
wjoh155052@aol.com

Schooled by Scotty
615-804-2487

My Home Track
New London Dragway.

www.biondoracing.com
www.racepartdepot.com

Posts: 2159 | Location: Rustburg VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
nothing good to come from "aggressive" finishline driving with front drums. put something else in front, even pinto brakes are safer at any speed.

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 82 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Rigid 57 I install handicap equipment for a living and could not give you some very good ideas if interested send me a message and we can discuss some thing

Posts: 408 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Strange front brakes that came on a 69 Camaro I purchased. Used but worked fine when removed. I'm putting it back on the street so I don't need them. I'll let them go pretty cheap. I can take pics over the weekend if your interested.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
With the master cylinder port basically open to the reservoir! I can't see another cylinder actuating the brakes. The applied pressure from said cylinder would just move fluid to the master cylinder reservoir. Vice versa when foot brake is applied. With some control valves you would need to block one while using the other. It could be done. Then in an emergency you might forget which one to use.

Posts: 92 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
http://www.cncbrakes.com/Produ...eries=412&subseries=

It has no reservoir and is ported to not interfere with normal foot pedal use.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I was one scared puppy this time last year. got full motion back. i tire easy but ive been back in the car

Tee
wjoh155052@aol.com

Schooled by Scotty
615-804-2487

My Home Track
New London Dragway.

www.biondoracing.com
www.racepartdepot.com

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sammy christian:
nothing good to come from "aggressive" finishline driving with front drums. put something else in front, even pinto brakes are safer at any speed.

Damn straight

Mike

Posts: 1563 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've seen the results of a front brake drum exploding at the finish line, not pretty.

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post