New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intake sealing
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
My sbc intake has lost sealing after first run.I used Permatex 80019 sealer.After removing intake signs of leak at bottom of runners.I use alcohol fuel,and I was running rich [milked oil].Permatex said to use alcohol for clean-up!What are you all using?

Posts: 9 | Location: maryland | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Ultra Gray or Ultra Black.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Lay it on there no gaskets and look at the fit. My 23 sbc runs on methanol, I don't use any silicone around the runner anywhere.

Check your fit, maybe the heads have been cut?

Big ol' nasty 1150 BLP dominator.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have you ever pried that alum. off there?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2324 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Permatex 85420 will work Smile

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 394 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:

Have you ever pried that alum. off there?

No Joke. I used Ultra Gray just once. Could not pry the intake off 2 months later. I triple-checked that I had removed all the bolts, (yeah, been working on BBC's over 40 years), hooked my engine hoist to the intake, it lifted the entire front end of the car off the ground. I ended up using several brand-new long-bladed box cutter knives, and cutting through the silicone between the heads & intake as much as possible, eventually got it to pry apart. Threw the nearly full tube of sealer into the trash. Big Grin

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The Right Stuff

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Right lol Need a bigger chisel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrKvXAbep2E

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
He's a moron! Been using it for at least a decade and to remove an intake doesn't require a chisel.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
All I use is ultra grey. It may take a little extra effort to get the manifold off but the last thing I want is for the silicon to blow out the back of the manifold at 230 mph

Posts: 2399 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post