DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Wideband 02 kits
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wideband 02 kits
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted
What wideband kit do you recommend and where is the best place to install the sensors ? Header tube, collector. I have a MSD grid and I’m looking at there dual wideband. Also have a sportsman racepak im going to install and connect to the grid. I haven’t found much info on the msd wideband but the graph I did see looked really choppy. Anyone using the msd that can shed light on it. I’d like to install 8 sensors but the only kit i found for that is 4 dual msd or 2 AEM widebands but 2 grand going with either so just looking at a dual kit for now

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If it were me, and I had both Racepak and Grid, I’d purchase the Racepak sensors and assign all the data acquisition not available in Grid normal 13 channels to the Racepak. Then I’d share only the Grid data channels that I deemed necessary from Grid to Racepak with the exception of RPM. I’d directly wire the Grid Tach Output to Racepak for RPM recording.

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I doubt that the choppy has anything to do with brand. You can smooth the data, but the data is what it is. At idle, most race cars show choppy data.
I have had an innovate for decades and it was fine. I added a Ballenger and I really like it. I used to bring the data into the racepak but now I use it for my EFI and record there.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6364 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have the Grid wideband setup and it works pretty good, one side anyway. I have two, one for each header...was wondering why one side wasn't working though....and I have a boost retard module to map crankcase vacuum which wasn't working either...with help from markemark, found that the boost module was shorted and killed the can bus bar....and it was also the reason my ignition wouldn't always record....issue is resolved now, but I wasn't looking forward to spending the money on another module or bus bar...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
If you're interested, I have an LM2 wideband setup that I'm not using....make ya a hell of a deal on it if you want.....It worked great, but I went to the grid setup because it was easier

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Lots of good info above.

1. Bung in the primary tube 8-12" from the cylinder head is WAY better in avoiding choppy/false readings.
2. Look at the last 1-2 seconds of the run. If that's choppy then check for leaks.
3. IMO only a high end Comp or SS motor will benefit from 8 o2's. I have a number of Stock & SS guys who have a bung in each primary tube but only two O2 kits - over the course of time they move them around to each tube.
4. Below is a RP graph with an exceptionally smooth o2 line (yellow). This car has RTV silicone rather than header gaskets and the collectors are tight and have been welded on.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
I’m working on installing the racepak now and think I’ll just go with the 4-senor kit and weld 8 bungs in the primary’s for now. It’s been sitting in a box since I sold the dragster so I hope it still works. I’ll give you a call Monday Greg. I’ve got a few other questions on hooking my dash up to the sportsman also

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you're interested, I have an LM2 wideband setup that I'm not using....make ya a hell of a deal on it if you want.....

If C Hodge isn't interested.....Tell me more LOL

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
If C Hodge isn't interested.....Tell me more LOL

PM me with a reasonable offer...

Mark Goulette

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
I figure the racepak is my best bet since I’m wanting to end up with 8-02s. Running injection and it will make it a push of the button away if something isn’t right like a clogged nozzle.