Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Balancer installer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Balancer installer
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Rhino
posted
I'm looking for a heavy duty balancer puller/installer that wont chew up the crank snout or strip the threads of the puller. Any suggestions ?

Rolla Competition Engines
Procharger Hemi
Spitzer Racecars

Posts: 1392 | Location: Harley Town Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of JP Miller
posted Hide Post

Posts: 52 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Snap-On for about 25 yrs, never had a problem. It's got a couple different style attachments for the crank snout so nothing touches the threads.

Posts: 1038 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
This one has worked for me for years and every other cheap one broke.

If you have to much press fit between the balancer and crank snout getting them on and off is ridiculously hard.

ATI balancers come with a spec sheet and they need to be honed to fit your crank if you're going to do it properly....

I am sure others sell the same tool set as ATI

Mine has never broke, failed, marked up anything.

I usually put a long wrench and pipe on it and wedge it under a bench to hold it from turning freeing up both hands...

la-207769765271&catargetid=230006180037475789&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQiA7dHSBRDEARIsAJhAHwgCoSqyDQVPrz6tFxXaQv8AMTu9ibgV3AOCRuxpyMKctx9vOXNwTNQaAiZbEALw_wcB" target="_blank">http://www.jegs.com/i/ATI/085/...OXNwTNQaAiZbEALw_wcB

Posts: 1471 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Most of the tool trucks will have a good tool set for that job.
It won't be the least in cost, but good stuff and a lifetime warranty.

Posts: 202 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
This one has worked for me for years and every other cheap one broke.

If you have to much press fit between the balancer and crank snout getting them on and off is ridiculously hard.

ATI balancers come with a spec sheet and they need to be honed to fit your crank if you're going to do it properly....

I am sure others sell the same tool set as ATI

Mine has never broke, failed, marked up anything.

I usually put a long wrench and pipe on it and wedge it under a bench to hold it from turning freeing up both hands...

la-207769765271&catargetid=230006180037475789&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQiA7dHSBRDEARIsAJhAHwgCoSqyDQVPrz6tFxXaQv8AMTu9ibgV3AOCRuxpyMKctx9vOXNwTNQaAiZbEALw_wcB" target="_blank">http://www.jegs.com/i/ATI/085/...OXNwTNQaAiZbEALw_wcB

ryan this is the one we use also .a good piece.if i had your money id get the hydraulic one.only thing is with the hyd one i would be worried about feel

opinions are worth what you pay for them
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 559 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8052 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2416 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
posted Hide Post
old school^^^

Posts: 8052 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Early SB Chevys had no bolt and the balancer was just held on there with the press/interference fit....

Used a short 2 lb hammer and a block of wood to put it on in the car....

When the engine got built for racing use drilling a tapping the crank for a bolt was a good idea.....

Posts: 1471 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
I heat mine up with a heat gun, put some antiseize on the crank snout, and it usually goes right on fairly easily. When it's time to remove it, the tool just rests against the end of the crank and is not in the threads so nothing can get messed-up.

Posts: 1674 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CNC BLOCKS N/E
posted Hide Post
This tool seems pretty good it comes with the adapters for the Callies Magnum cranks both BB and SB.

Those cranks the threads go back to the front main.

Summit Racing SUM-G1025

Website is up and running
hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Some of our products
hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/products/
[u

Posts: 474 | Location: NORTHEAST | Registered: February 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
I've been using a Snap-On for about 25 yrs, never had a problem. It's got a couple different style attachments for the crank snout so nothing touches the threads.
that's what I have too. The cheap ones are crap

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1175 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I have the Jegs kit that is shown as an alternative on the link Rich shared. It looks virtually identical to the ATI set my buddy has, but the Jegs kit included a lot more adapters, and cost almost $100 less.
Whatever one you use, keep some of the black Moly-Disulfide Cam Lube grease on hand, (or the black ARP bolt thread lubricant), and use some on the threads of the installer tool, (and when installing, put a thin smear on the crank snout, and in the bore of the damper). It makes a difficult job MUCH easier.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 520 | Location: Dallas, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Don't you need one for a HIEMI ?

Posts: 77 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
If you happen to need a kick butt puller/ installer this will fit the bill.
I have one and I no longer cringe when the time comes to pull or install a balancer.
http://webster-industries.com/Damper_Puller.html

Edit: I now see JP Miller already mentioned this one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dave Koehler,

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 227 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rhino
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the tips. I mostly use it for pulling the hub off on my procharger. Ive broken two of the basic style 4 ear pullers so Ive been looking for something abit heavier duty than what I had ...

Rolla Competition Engines
Procharger Hemi
Spitzer Racecars

Posts: 1392 | Location: Harley Town Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post