Find
Notify
Tools

Right stuff ?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted
Any one have any first hand experience in using the Right Stuff RTV in a methanol/alcohol sealing situation?
Will the alcohol dissolve the RTV?
I'm currently trying this out in a small quantity but am interested in long term application.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I use this all the time for intake gasket sealant. works fine

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1987 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
best sealant there is.

just had to pry my intake off and used Alcohol for 2 years.

years ago some dripped on my header and its still on there and plyable.

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1430 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's.
I smeared some in a plastic cup and let it cure for about an hour.
I filled the cup with alcohol.
So far there has been no change to the RTV. Still looks and feels the same. No discoloring to the alcohol. I'll continue to keep the cup full and monitor the results.

Bruce Lee Cool

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My dad works on an alcohol funny car team and that's all they use on everything. Regular unleaded gasoline will eat it though. That's what they use to clean it off with.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
My dad works on an alcohol funny car team and that's all they use on everything. Regular unleaded gasoline will eat it though. That's what they use to clean it off with.

Ran my car over the street for years and still had to pry the intake off using regular fuel. I would not be concerned.

Posts: 1430 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Even tho it would be put on very thin I wonder if its too strong to use around the water holes on a copper head gasket? don't want to risk damaging the head gasket when removing it so it can be used again

Posts: 2395 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have used it to seal around copper head gaskets on a funny car without issues. It sticks well and comes off easier than regular silicone. It is the only silicone based sealant I will use.

Roy S.
AKA- Ross' Brother

Posts: 1 | Location: East Valley | Registered: January 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Well after several days the right stuff still submerged in alcohol has not changed in feel, or it adhesion to the plastic cup.
My conclusion is it is some real tough stuff.

Thanks for all of the input.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Bruce thanks for doing the product testing for us ....No really

Right

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post