Bracket Talk
Msd crank trigger?

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/9517074996

October 22, 2022, 10:47 AM
Wooley
Msd crank trigger?
My new sbc uses a 6 1/4” balancer. I have a crank trigger set up from another sbc, but from a 8” balancer. I’ve bolted it together and see no reason it won’t work. The trigger wheel is a good bit larger than the balancer but looks like it will work. Has anyone else done this or can anyone give me a reason it won’t work? I would rather not buy another crank trigger set if I don’t have to.
October 22, 2022, 11:28 AM
Roger McGinnis
A circle has 360°. It doesn't care what the diameter is.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
October 22, 2022, 01:09 PM
Wooley
Roger that is my reasonings too. Just got to thinking about it, since they sell crank trigger kits for different diameter balancer.
October 22, 2022, 02:33 PM
M120
You'll be fine.

Best bet is to have a friend with a lathe! I've made spacers of various thicknesses for friends.

Spacing for trigger PU ,pulleys, belts is most important thing.

Cool
October 22, 2022, 02:54 PM
imakehp
Bigger diameter is technically more accurate being the trigger points are further apart. But after 5-6 inches it's light years better than the 1-2 inches of a distributor already, so it's not a measurable gain.

All that matters is you have the bolt on bracket and pick-up to match whatever diameter wheel you're using. I think everything is flying magnet now days....

Dave

F J B

October 24, 2022, 07:06 AM
TomR
Mine has been that way to years, no worries.

72 Nova "Hooptie"
October 24, 2022, 10:50 AM
ferndaleflyer
I think I have a BB Chev on an Oldsmobile--works fine bur 1/2 bigger.
October 27, 2022, 02:54 AM
davidsracing
The only concern is that the wheel locates properly on the balancer so that it is centered. Some balancers have a lip that is different depending on the size of the balancer and that is why there are different wheels. As long as it is centered when installed, the diameter doesn't matter.