DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Msd crank trigger?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Msd crank trigger?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
My new sbc uses a 6 1/4” balancer. I have a crank trigger set up from another sbc, but from a 8” balancer. I’ve bolted it together and see no reason it won’t work. The trigger wheel is a good bit larger than the balancer but looks like it will work. Has anyone else done this or can anyone give me a reason it won’t work? I would rather not buy another crank trigger set if I don’t have to.

Posts: 485 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
A circle has 360°. It doesn't care what the diameter is.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Roger that is my reasonings too. Just got to thinking about it, since they sell crank trigger kits for different diameter balancer.

Posts: 485 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You'll be fine.

Best bet is to have a friend with a lathe! I've made spacers of various thicknesses for friends.

Spacing for trigger PU ,pulleys, belts is most important thing.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bigger diameter is technically more accurate being the trigger points are further apart. But after 5-6 inches it's light years better than the 1-2 inches of a distributor already, so it's not a measurable gain.

All that matters is you have the bolt on bracket and pick-up to match whatever diameter wheel you're using. I think everything is flying magnet now days....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4440 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Mine has been that way to years, no worries.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 732 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I think I have a BB Chev on an Oldsmobile--works fine bur 1/2 bigger.

Posts: 6189 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The only concern is that the wheel locates properly on the balancer so that it is centered. Some balancers have a lip that is different depending on the size of the balancer and that is why there are different wheels. As long as it is centered when installed, the diameter doesn't matter.

Posts: 134 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post