DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Silverado Brake Job
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silverado Brake Job
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
This isn't just a GM problem. Have the same issue with my Tundra, Mustang and the wifes Subarus over the years.

I always clean the caliper surface area where the stainless steel slides mount. Then I have found if you file the sharp edges on the pad and round them slightly where they contact the slides, the brakes function like they are supposed to. On the pads I didn't file, they hung up, wear out way too early and killed the rotors on a couple different vehicles. I tried different pad manufacturers too before I figured it out.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 738 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Great idea on the rounding and I will use that in the future

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6378 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
File/die grinder will always be your friend

"Grind to fit". When you use foreign steel.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Welcome to today's world of auto repair Super Angry

THIS. ^^^

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1034 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
File/die grinder will always be your friend

"Grind to fit". When you use foreign steel.

Were the OE pads foreign steel? Because they fit just like the new pads.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6378 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
Suck it up and buy the GM pads

Nothing lasts like OEM and stays quiet. The new rotors (aftermarket) come pre warped!
Sent mom’s car out for brakes, pads blew up twice! Sounded like the front bearings/rotors blew up! So much for aftermarket parts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4479 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Steve from Pa
posted Hide Post
I'm not a mechanic, but our 2500HD I've cleaned then out with new slides everything, but I still end up having to get a flapper wheel and clearance the rear pads every time.
I've been having the best luck with the Wagner quite stop pads on my dailies, just seem to be way better than the others I've been buying around here.

Most important, keep the shiny side up

Posts: 798 | Location: Punxsutawney, Pa USA | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post