DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Holley 12-803 regulator problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holley 12-803 regulator problems
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of fast frank
posted
Keep having this problem, reg works fine holds even pressure, then it won`t hold it steady. it will start at 6lbs and then just start climbing till it blows the needle off the seat. Tried cleaning the first one then rebuilt it, then a newone.Now 6months old and doing the same. Using a blue pump. thanks !

Posts: 728 | Location: pa. | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
is your gauge liquid/glycerin filled?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Did you disassemble and clean the pump this season ?

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of fast frank
posted Hide Post
Liquid gauge, no, did not clean pump

Posts: 728 | Location: pa. | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The gauge not the regulators is your issue. Replace it with a dry gauge, set your fuel pressure to 6.5 and go racing.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of fast frank
posted Hide Post
Why is it dumping fuel down the carb, new needle and seat,float good and set correctly

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
because your fuel pressure is too high, set based on the liquid gauge who's viscosity varies with temp.

The fact that you have the same issue with two regulators should tell you it's not the regulator.

That said, how are you setting the floats "correctly"?

Th

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ed is dead zero with this one. Those liquid filled gauges are junk unless you're in some industrial setting.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I never had any luck with the cheap Holley regulator. Fuel pressure will creep up on you and put too much pressure on the floats, and make them open. Once they are open they will not close. Get the better regulator from Holley. And dead head the regulator and make sure the pressure don't creep up on you.

Posts: 20 | Location: 46060 | Registered: October 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have both a liquid and non-liquid on the fuel log. The filled never reads the same, it’s used strictly as a pipe plug.

Buy yourself a non-filled like suggested above.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
The bigger 904 regulator works well for me on alky, gas and e85.

I agree with 3 qualified posts above that the liquid gauge is not good. Mine was only correct when the engine was cold. Get a good gauge and put it in to test pressure hot and cold then put the other one in for looks.

Posts: 394 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of fast frank
posted Hide Post
Did change back to my dry gauge and no change, after talking with holley yesterday they told me there has been some problems with the chrome regulators lately ( he also said get rid of the liquid gauge!). Installed a new diaphragm and spring in my 25yr old regulator, problem solved! thanks for help

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
how are you adjusting the floats, where are they set to now and what is your fuel pressure set to?